MA: Takamine 12
    MB: Spector Euro 5
    Rig: SLO|Road King|Überschall

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

How are you going to route it? That's the main thing you pay for when you get someone like Warmoth to do it for you. The shaping of the body is relatively simple. Shit like routing for the pickup routes is a pain that requires way more tooling.

You can route humbucker routes freehand with a drill press and the right bits, because the pickup ring is going to cover up the unsightly bits.

ME: CS USA Soloist 7
    MA: Ovation Elite Standard
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rec

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    You can route humbucker routes freehand with a drill press and the right bits, because the pickup ring is going to cover up the unsightly bits.
    How old-school of you. Everyone knows direct-mount sounds better.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Robin Medley Special
    Rig: 6505~(some pedals)~Mesa

BRB, buying some popcorn.
    President - Reverse Headstock Lover's Club ©

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    How old-school of you. Everyone knows direct-mount sounds better.
    I freehanded the bridge humbucker route of my Charvel Spectrum. Which was a shame, since I wanted to leave it SSS, but was playing with a band at the time where that didn't work.

The pickup ring is a godsend. It looks pretty good with the pickup ring.

The rule on routing, as far as I am concerned, is, as long as you aren't going beyond the extent of what you want the final, clean route to be you can be as messy as you want. If you remove too little, like just enough to get shit in there, and there is still plenty of stuff left to do at a later time for the "final route", that's OK.

If you totally butcher it but remove wood past the extent of what you want the final "professional looking" route to be you are fucked. Not that you can't fix that either, but measure twice and cut once and all that. Removing too much is always worse than removing too little.

You are going to need clamps for sure though, especially if you freehand it. Luckily, from the pile of filings in Rocka's picture, it looks like he probably has a softer wood. The main risk on something easier to work though is obviously getting overzealous and removing too much before you know it.

ME: Solar A1.6ET
    Rig: Kemper

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    How are you going to route it? That's the main thing you pay for when you get someone like Warmoth to do it for you. The shaping of the body is relatively simple. Shit like routing for the pickup routes is a pain that requires way more tooling.

I have a router.
    I have in the past not only routed for pickup cavitys but also routed for several recessed Floyds and Evertune bridges with it.

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    Rig: Mesa/Fractal

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    You can just superglue the volume knob to the top - no need to bother with a pot underneath.
    That is goddamned gold right there

Seriously though, keep it clean and just don't have it. Do you use the ones you have?

ME: 6's
    MB: Aerodyne
    Rig: AxeFX III

That's a pretty good way to use time during isolation!