Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Making a guitar body!!!

Tags
body guitar
5K views 45 replies 19 participants last post by  Iron1 
#1 ·
Looked on a swedish used instrument site and somebody sold a silhouette of a strat body.
So I bought it.

Now I'm shaping the tummy and forearm contours.

I'll probably make it a 1-hum 1-vol body with no pickguard. And EVERTUNE of course :flex:

See less See more
#10 ·
How are you going to route it? That's the main thing you pay for when you get someone like Warmoth to do it for you. The shaping of the body is relatively simple. Shit like routing for the pickup routes is a pain that requires way more tooling.

You can route humbucker routes freehand with a drill press and the right bits, because the pickup ring is going to cover up the unsightly bits.

#35 ·
This is a great thread to do this in-

Rocka, I owe you an apology. For the last year, maybe two, my signature has been a quote from you when you were pissed off over a locknut, I believe, because it was off by a millimeter.

I'm building a pedalboard, what would seemingly be very simple; just a flat board with the aluminum trim, some feet and handles. My first go at it, I was using a hacksaw and a miter box to cut the aluminum C-channel and it was a shitty hacksaw blade, way too thin to be make a perfect 45 degree cut. So I borrowed my father's miter saw and thought, "Oh fuck yeah, I'm going to be done in like 5 minutes!" Caveat, I've never used a miter saw before. Nor did I do my due diligence in paying attention to the blade that was on it. That thing ate the shit out of the aluminum, making every cut imperfect. I then sat there with a sanding block and smoothed out every edge, making sure they were perfect. Keep in mind, I'm on my 2nd strip of c-channel as I butchered the first one. It's cheap, like $14 a strip, but I'd bought two of them at this point.

I finish all the cutting and sanding and go to dry fit all the metal onto the wood. One corner will not line up. The other 3 aren't flawless, but they're about 98% flush. But this last corner.....off by one fucking millimeter. For about 15 minutes, as I cleaned up, I was bitching up a storm in my head. Doing the usual "You fuck up so many fucking projects, you fucking moron! You can't even fucking cut 4 pieces of fucking aluminum right!" Came inside to take a shower, my wife, in her usual positive mood says "How'd it come out?", I mumble something like, "The usual, I fucked it up." then went into the bathroom. As I was in there, as I jumped into round 2 of self-abuse, I said "ONE FUCKING MILLIMETER!!!" then stopped and laughed at my hypocrisy. My entire mood changed. I was happy again.

I'll put it all together tomorrow, in all it's imperfection. Once 'Rona leaves town, if there's still a civilization left, I'll go back to Home Depot and start fresh. I'll give the board to my buddy, who is taking my old rig home to use now that I have the AxeFX. I learned how to use a tool I've never used before and gave myself a stark reminder of 'the right tool for the job".

So again, I'm sorry Rocka. I have little doubt that you're going to make a killer body, whether you use super glue, termites, thermite, or uranium because you pay attention to detail and jump on every project you do with much enthusiasm.

#38 ·
No need to apology :flex:

What a story about your pedalboard :flex:

Here's the thing: I can see off details, but I can't manufacture perfect results myself. As proofed by various projects I've had in the past.
But I'm trying my best with this one, lets see what happens :)
Oh, dude, I very much hear you there! What really infuriates me is that I'm capable of pulling off flawless work when I'm at work, but for some reason, when I do it at home, something gets fucked up. Caveat being that I'm constantly doing things for the first time at home and at work I'm often doing something repeatedly.

In regards to the pedalboard, I actually cut 2 pieces of plywood and one didn't have a straight cut on one side. I painted the wrong fucking plywood. :rofl: I dry fit the c-channels on the other piece of wood and found I need to remove one centimeter of wood from one of the ends and everything will line up, with the only imperfections being where the saw blade created uneven cuts (tears) in the alumuinum. I'm just out of black spray paint and that's not exactly a necessity right now so I won't be going to Home Depot for it. The idiots of Ft. Lauderdale have earned themselves a law enforcement assisted lock down because people would not stay in their fucking homes.

#37 ·
When I built a guitar body the pickup cavities turned out awful! I had a 6 string pup template and used it to make a 7 string one, which was wonky. It’s not too obvious but I notice it. Also I made the neck pocket too wide so I had to fill in the excess with epoxy putty, which ended up working really well - that was Adams (Elysian) tip.

There a lot of imperfections, but ultimately the feeling of something I made myself made me forget about them.

It also taught me to never be so stupid as to make another :rofl:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.