Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Jackson gurus - Pro Soloist neck profile question

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Mike 
#1 ·
So, I have acquired this fine instrument online, which is a lot of guitar for its price, in my humble opinion.
Guess I got lucky, because fretwork is flawless and it sounds huge. It plays fantastic!

Anyway, on to the neck profile: I remember trying several Indo Pro Soloist during the past few years and it seems to me that it was a bit slimmer back then.

Am I crazy? Has the Indo Pro Soloist neck profile changed over the last few years? Or is it that I tried a Dinky at one point and its neck profile different? Thanks in advance!

Side note : why 98% of guitar companies won't put the neck thickness in their specs, when all of the other specs are there? :squint:

See less See more
#3 ·
The one I'm selling is definitely thin. Well, not Wizard thin, but closer to that than not. IIRC, it's a 2017 Indo.

#6 ·
It depends on the year but starting in about 2014 the same factory has been making the pro soloists. While working at FMIC I did notice variation in the thickness of the necks on the Pro series stuff. Compared the the X series, the Pro stuff is a little rounder and slightly thicker overall. The transition to the "heel" is also a different shape.

#7 ·
^

Thanks ***! Ah! I'm not crazy. It is rounder and thicker.

I bought the Soloist based on the fact that I loved the neck profile... And it showed up beeing different. Oh well... I still like it, even if it's pretty different from my other guitars. Makes me plays "differently", if that makes any sense.

#10 ·
My favorite guitars have the thinnest necks imaginable. I had an ESP 7 string a long time ago, and the baseball bat thickness of the neck actually made my fingers go numb a little when I played chords on the lower strings too often.

I love Ibanez Wizard necks for a reason, and I recently picked up a Schecter CR6 that has the slimmest neck I've ever played. Wide and flat fretboards, thin necks, and I'm happy :vince:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.