NGD: A Stone To Rock

Thread: NGD: A Stone To Rock

ME: Ibanez RGs
    MA: Cordoba Custom Flamenco
    MB: Ibanez SRs
    Rig: 5153 / Kemper

NGD: A Stone To Rock

I actually got this a month and a half ago for a potential rock project and needed an alternate for the Ibby lawsuit LP anyway. But being a black Ibby, it was crying for my usual modding ritual.

I used to always say that once I see an Ibanez Darkstone at a reasonable price, I'd snag it. The DN300 came along dirt cheap and I did just that. This is another instrument where my fetish for covered pickups were continuing. I first considered a pair of BKP Mules since my LP had them too, but suddenly changed my mind for a True Grit set instead. Of course having chrome pickups mean the chrome rings will look pretty bad. So in came black pickup rings.

Suddenly it looks like a much higher end instrument than what it used to be. Love the look of this fiddle now.

As for the guitar itself, the Darkstone series is more a hybrid of an Iceman and a Les Paul DC or Artist series than a traditional 24.75 scale guitar. Flat top, rear contour similar to an RG, a big chunky set neck and pretty damn heavy chunk of mahogany (other models have sapele, which I remember was much heavier). Pretty much a no nonsense lean rock riff machine. The True Grits are pretty fun as well. The bridge roars hard and the neck is like an angry fat mix of PAF and P90 tonality. Currently I've got it tuned to Eb or drop C# with 10-52s.

Definitely a fun instrument to just plug in and play away.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

Interesting design that I don't recall seeing before. Maybe that's one they don't sell in the USA?

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    Interesting design that I don't recall seeing before. Maybe that's one they don't sell in the USA?
    They were widely available during their 4 year run (2009-2013), but they weren't popular by any stretch. Ibanez were marketing them as metal riff instruments towards the Hot Topic metalcore crowd, but didn't really catch on in the long run. I think one of the guys from Epica was a long time user, before switching to Les Pauls, and Ihsahn had one at one point. That and they were releasing some of them in ghastly schemes like this one:

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: 6's
    MB: Aerodyne
    Rig: AxeFX III

How could anyone say no to thorns

Quote Originally Posted by budda View Post
    How could anyone say no to thorns
    If those thorns were glow in the dark, or had a light switch, then yes I would definitely consider it.

ME: PRS S2 Standard 22
    Rig: Headrush Gigboard + FRFR

Nice looking guitar! For me, it's nice to have a guitar that is not common.
    I feature mod projects, gear reviews, and my music on my YouTube channel! Thanks!

ME: Fender Telecasters
    MA: Emerald X20 Artisan
    MB: STR LS-648
    Rig: Mk IVa / Fractal AX8

I'm not 100% sold on the bottom, but I like that guitar. It reminds me of an old Musician series guitar.
    "Oh, those jazz guys are just making that stuff up!" - Homer J. Simpson