Kiesel Drama - Page 16
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516

Thread: Kiesel Drama

ME: EBMM/PRS
    Rig: Kemper

Quote Originally Posted by mpexus View Post
    When the Ibanez RG 550 can still be purchased new as 2020 and so can the Charvel SoCal... why people buy other brands?

Are the new Genesis series RG550 as good as the older ones?
    I've not played one yet, but they are surprisingly cheap for a MIJ Ibanez compared to their other new models.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Bowes Nightbringer 7

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    I've not played one yet, but they are surprisingly cheap for a MIJ Ibanez compared to their other new models.
    I own some of the oldies and the Genesis ones are damn close.

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    But then I guess the split happen, or the dude sniffed too many of his own farts and put EVERYTHING under the Kiesel name
    I think Jeff was required to do that because of the split. Ironically, the uncles got the supposedly more valuable half of the business along with the Carvin trademark...and are now out of business.

Quote Originally Posted by bulletbass man View Post
    Carvin did pretty unique one offs for artists or long term customers long before Jeff was running things. But it definitely wasn't the norm and you weren't getting one unless you bought like 20 guitars first.
    In their later years, I vaguely recall Carvin loosening up on Option 50. However, the company still evaluated those requests carefully and made it very clear in advance that doing an Option 50 meant no returns. Jeff is trying to have it both ways by running a "custom shop" but still maintaining the Option 50 no-returns policy.

From a production standpoint, Jeff's approach is the worst of both worlds. Carvin's checklist and build-to-order approach has the advantages of predictability, cost control, and quick turnaround. Less-skilled employees can be used, CNC doesn't need custom programming, sales and customer service are less complex, etc.

Adding customization throws that entire workflow into chaos. Suddenly, you need more skilled employees who know end-to-end process, machinery has to have custom settings, sales and service has to be more knowledgeable about the product, inventory management has to be more flexible, and so on.

A skilled management team could probably figure it out. A skater dood who was handed grandpa's old company? I have doubts...

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    I think they are better

I prefer the Satin Necks and I like the Volute. Also I prefer the slightly 2mm largers necks at the Heel. The old ones the necks were not all exactly alike. I remember two friends had them and one the neck felt much thinner than the other.