Looking for a recording bass - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a recording bass

ME: Jackson SLATXMG7FR
    MA: Takamine G335 12-String
    MB: Ibanez SR-405
    Rig: Peavey 6505+

I had a Spector Legend Custom 5 a long while back and it was such a sick instrument. Probably my greatest-missed piece of sold gear. If you can find one of those (biggest difference from the regular Legend being that it comes with EMG soapbars and neck-through, still Korean made) I would definitely spring for one. 4-strings go for around $500 used. I know some dudes back in the day used to switch the preamps out and they went from great basses to (excuse the pun) legendary.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Blackmachine
    Rig: Helix/Matrix/Zilla

I know it's a 5, but these basses are fucking killer. I've been trying to hunt one down in the UK but they're rare as hens teeth here.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Warwick-Cor...eUjGI#viTabs_0

ME: EBMM(s)
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

Quote Originally Posted by Blankplank View Post
    I know it's a 5, but these basses are fucking killer. I've been trying to hunt one down in the UK but they're rare as hens teeth here.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Warwick-Cor...eUjGI#viTabs_0
    I had one of those, it was great. I sold it to Drew, I think he still has it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Charvel So Cal
    Rig: Triple Rec

P/J set up is king. I love humbuckered Spectors also, but they've got a very modern sound. But they're idiot-proof.

If you want to be able to just plug the dam thing in and not piss about trying to "engineer" a good sound, then you can't beat a humbuckered Spector, quite honestly. They are such no-nonsense it's ridiculous. Mega versatile too. Just a seriously good, clean signal right from the off. Muscular, punchy tone. Better for finger-players too.

Having said that, nothing beats a P/J set up for me. Particularly with EMG's. So long as it's a solid, long-scale bass (and preferably not a Fender as the tone is just too clanky and honky, too old school). I'd highly recommend Spector again here, but most modern long scale basses will do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Soapbars > Jazz > PJ > P-pickups IMO

Unless we're talking actives with no poles, then I think they're all in the same area code. But a traditional P style pickup sounds WAY too bright and clicky for my tastes.
    Yeah, definitely passive ones. An active P is so much more even, especially if you're bi-amping and splitting the low and high signals to process them differently. Nothing distorts as nicely as a P pickup on bass. Humbuckers get too jangly and sharp, even actives. They're much better suited to muscular clean tones a la Alex Webster, where you just want to bring the beef. But for TONE and to melt in with the guitars in a mix, I way prefer a bi-amped P.
    www.numbskullaudio.com
    Recording. Mixing. Mastering. Editing. Re-Amping.

www.stivesguitarservices.com
    Set-ups. Maintenance. Restoration. Repairs.

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by Mattayus View Post
    P/J set up is king.
    A lot of soapbars, particularly earlier ones, are just PJs in the soapbar housing. Especially for EMGs 35 series.

ME: Charvel So Cal
    Rig: Triple Rec

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    A lot of soapbars, particularly earlier ones, are just PJs in the soapbar housing. Especially for EMGs 35 series.
    That depends entirely on what it is. I mean, yeah, they do do a P and a J in soapboar housing, but they're more for people who want to convert their humbuckered bass to a P and/or J set up. The 35, 40, and 45 series EMG's all come in full humbucker, P, or J. But most of the time if a bass comes with Soapbars it will be a full humbucker.

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

At the ~$600 price point you can't beat a Warmoth or Fender MIM + upgrades.

Granted, on the Warmoth, you might have to forgo them finishing the body to come in at ~$600.

There's a reason Fenders oldest designs still dominate the bass market.

G and Ls are cool, and obviously a lot of people regard them as "Fender 2.0/Fender 3.0" for obvious reasons pertaining to the brands history. They don't have the pickup/hardware upgrade/switchability potential of a standard Fender style one though.

At that price point, Lakland's Skyline series is also the same sort of thing as G and Ls.

There are obviously a lot of way more obscure options of 80s or 90s models from other brands that are excellent, but those are going to be based on availability and may or may not be the kind of thing you want to search for.

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

Quote Originally Posted by Mattayus View Post
    Yeah, definitely passive ones. An active P is so much more even, especially if you're bi-amping and splitting the low and high signals to process them differently. Nothing distorts as nicely as a P pickup on bass. Humbuckers get too jangly and sharp, even actives. They're much better suited to muscular clean tones a la Alex Webster, where you just want to bring the beef. But for TONE and to melt in with the guitars in a mix, I way prefer a bi-amped P.
    Just to clarify, P-bass pickups are humbuckers. It's the J-bass pickups that are single-coils.

For a modern scooped bass sound, P/J works well (and that includes the EMG soapbars). For more of a classic Geezer Butler-style tone, I love just a P-bass pickup through a set-up that boosts a little around 500Hz and cuts at 250Hz. Still big but not woofy.