NGD Dean V (Haven't posted in ages!) - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NGD Dean V (Haven't posted in ages!)

ME: Forshage, EBMM
    MA: Blueridge BR-40
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner
    Rig: Soldano HR25, Mark V:25

The Dean "V" neck is one of the few things I really like about most of the "classic" Deans. That's gorgeous though!
    Too much focus leads to tunnel vision
    Too much faith leads to religion
    Too much knowledge leads to confusion
    Too many guitar lessons lead to jazz-fusion

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson SL2Q MAH
    MA: Yamaha FG700S
    Rig: EVH 5150 III 50W

I have the same problem with tune-o-matics. My hand naturally wants to fall behind the bridge. I only found this out by playing my band-mates EC1000. Kind of bummed me out cause I always wanted one. But to be honest I've only played it a handful of times so I don't know if I would adapt or not.

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

Quote Originally Posted by geoffshreds View Post
    I think its a '77 reproduction. But yeah, the only guitars I own are Vs. Besides an Explorer that got launched off a 3rd story balcony and has a snapped neck, but that's another story entirely. So V shape is what I'm used to. I have fairly broad shoulders, if I bring my picking hand to where it rests in front of the bridge closer to the bridge pickup it feels claustrophobic, kinda cramped. Where it rests in the pic is where my arm naturally placed me and where I imagine my hand rests on my Jacksons. We'll see, these are just first impressions. Hopefully isn't a deal breaker cause it seems like it's gonna be a killer machine.
    Much of that difference is probably due to the short scale on this guitar. I don't get along with V guitars at all, but on superstrats I notice the same phenomenon you mention when I switch between 24.75" and 25.5" scale guitars. My picking hand has to move to the left on shorter scale guitars. The bridge on 24.75" guitars has to be placed further up toward the neck unless the neck is to be set well into the body (killing access to the upper frets).

My Soloist Jr. has a 24.75" scale, but Jackson balanced the design by setting the neck slightly further into the body than on a 25.5" Soloist. The bridge on the Soloist Jr. still sits further toward the neck, but not as much so as it would otherwise. It's actually taken me more time to get used to the neck being further in than to deal with the bridge placement.

Flying Vs, though, naturally have the center of gravity more to the left due to the position of the strap pins, so that more of the neck is to the left of your body than on a strat or Les Paul. Thus, your picking hand will have to move to the left, too.

SGs are an ergonomic disaster in this regard and actually give me a backache, with the picking hand having to move way to the left, even more than with a V or Explorer.

It sounds like you're probably just better off with 25.5" scale guitars.

ME: Jackson King V
    MB: EB musicman
    Rig: Bogner Überschall green

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    It's actually taken me more time to get used to the neck being further in than to deal with the bridge placement.
    Not sure which is worse!
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    It sounds like you're probably just better off with 25.5" scale guitars.
    I didn't think twice about the scale because my Explorer was 24 3/4 and I didn't have any issues. Then again, it had a Floyd.

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

Quote Originally Posted by geoffshreds View Post
    I didn't think twice about the scale because my Explorer was 24 3/4 and I didn't have any issues. Then again, it had a Floyd.
    Explorers are better than Vs in this regard. The Floyd would actually be worse for you than a TOM on that Dean, since your hand would be resting right on the bridge itself, messing up the tuning.

Interesting, I always rest my hand on the saddles of the floyd. Never even taken tuning into consideration with my hand placement lol. But yeah, band practice tonight. We'll see how the Dean slays!

UPDATE

So after spending some time with this at practice last night, there's a few things to note and a couple questions.
    The guitar balances fine, was comfortable to wear and play just like my Jacksons.
    The issue with the scale/where my palm rests on the TOM bridge didn't really affect my playing, more just in my head. Like when you drive someone else's car for the first time and go to hit the brakes, sometimes they're more responsive than what you're used to, sometimes much less. Just had to focus on when/where to adjust, which mainly concerned palm mutes.
    Sounded good. Super Distortions were cool, definitely more upper mid focused than my main ride. Tight in the bass too. Might switchem out for something more saggy.

Now, the main issue I had was that my G-string flew off in the middle of practice!

I knew when I first stringed it up that it looked suspect how the strings were sitting on the nut. Thought, well we'll see what happens. Sure enough, halfway through the first song the G string flies off the nut.
    Is this an issue where I need to file the nut down to get the strings deeper into the grooves or should I replace the nut?

Also, still looking for suggestions on a black replacement TOM bridge to throw in there...roller saddles? Teflon? I'm out of my element on this one.

Thanks!

ME: ESP SRC6

This truglide thing might help with keeping the strings straight at the nut (haven’t tried it personally though)

TruGlide | db Instrument Amp

Are you opened to the hipshot Tone-A-Matic bridges? They could also maybe make you the v thingy too

https://hipshotproducts.com/products...c-right-handed
    Last edited by Parker; 06-03-2020 at 06:59 PM.