NGD Dean V (Haven't posted in ages!)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NGD Dean V (Haven't posted in ages!)

ME: Jackson King V
    MB: EB musicman
    Rig: Bogner Überschall green

NGD Dean V (Haven't posted in ages!)

So I've been MIA for quite some time on this scene and guitar/music in general. The whole covid thing freed up some time and got me inspired again...got a new band going and hitting things full force! Naturally, GAS ensues...Reverb must've been paying attention to my moves cause I kept getting emails for gear I was looking at years ago. Anyway, figure I'd blast back on here with a NGD!
    I play mostly Jackson Vs but had been eyeing Deans for years. Still want a ML at some point, but for now:
    Dean Chicago Flame V Trans Brazilia Burst
    Korean made 24 3/4 scale 22 frets
    Set Mahogany "V neck" Flame Maple top
    Grover tuners Ebony fingerboard Abalone inlays
    DiMarzio Super Distortion pickups

So, first things to note. Bought this brand new from Dean Johnson's Music (Florida) Reverb shop. Professionally packed. Shipped super fast, took only 4 business days to get here in Houston with standard shipping.

Case seems very sturdy. Lots of compartment space, could fit a laptop in there if I needed to. Velcro neck latch to keep gutar in place, don't think I'll use it but nice touch.

The guitar itself looks great. A few very minor cosmetic flaws that you have to microscope to find. It's gonna get thrashed anyway. Flame top looks great. Per usual, you can see more detail in person.

How does it play??? Well, unplugged...first impression is it plays smooth, setup well from the seller, good low action. Resonates and notes ring out surprisingly well unplugged! Good sign. Gonna get it amped up tomorrow night at practice. I'm sure it'll be fine.

2 issues:
    This guitar has a 'V contour" neck, not flat or D/C (I have no idea) shaped Jackson necks. So the middle of the neck kinda protrudes down its entirety. I can't tell yet if this is something I'm gonna hate or if it will help with left hand fatigue. Either way, the V neck is very noticeable.
    Also, I've only been playing Floyded guitars for the last 10 years or so. I bought this to have something different and to be able to string up quickly for practice.
    So I don't know if this is because of the TOM bridge or smaller scale than my Jacksons, but notice where the edge of my palm rests, behind the bridge. My music consists mostly of fierce and long trem picking runs, maniacal thrashing power chord patterns and occasional palm mutes on cymbal grabs...Where my palm is resting in the picture is where it feels most comfortable for the majority of my playing: trem picking, but when I go to palm mute, it feels like I have to bump up and over the bridge to get where I need to be. It feels like I have to travel much further to catch palm mutes compared to my Floyded guitars. Is this normal for TOM'd guitars? Have I just gotten SO used to Floyds that there's no return to TOMs? Or do I just play in an awkward position? Either way, it feels abnormal to me.

Soo, hopefully the issues i have just work themselves out with time. Gonna leave the Super Distortions in there for now, never tried them before. If I change out the pickups I have a Black Winter bridge, Miracle Man bridge, and a couple EMG sets laying around. Planning to change out most of the hardware to black...couple questions on that note:

Any recommendations for a replacement TOM bridge? Must be BLACK.

Where can I find a replacement V tailpiece? Also must be BLACK. Ebay and Reverb have provided dodgy results searching for these.

Well, it's good to be back at it! Thanks in advance for answers or suggestions.

-Geoff

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: EBMM(s)
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

Proper.

Black hardware will definitely do the trick too. All hardware should be black.

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

Wow, that's a nice reproduction of the classic USA Dean V from the 70s-80s.

The V-shaped neck profile is very traditional Dean. Most of the early ones I've played have had that. I'm not a big fan of it, personally, but it's the kind of thing you where have to play the guitar for a while to see how well it works for you.

As for palm-muting, that's a combination of the ergonomics of a flying V, the short scale, and the bridge placement. Your fingering hand sits way further back than most people's. You just have to move up further toward the neck and see how it works for you ergonomically. I've never gotten along with flying Vs for different ergonomic reasons, but that's a personal thing.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Proper.

Black hardware will definitely do the trick too. All hardware should be black.
    Agreed. It was a big step for me buying a guitar that's not all black to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    Wow, that's a nice reproduction of the classic USA Dean V from the 70s-80s.

The V-shaped neck profile is very traditional Dean. Most of the early ones I've played have had that. I'm not a big fan of it, personally, but it's the kind of thing you where have to play the guitar for a while to see how well it works for you.

As for palm-muting, that's a combination of the ergonomics of a flying V, the short scale, and the bridge placement. Your fingering hand sits way further back than most people's. You just have to move up further toward the neck and see how it works for you ergonomically. I've never gotten along with flying Vs for different ergonomic reasons, but that's a personal thing.
    I think its a '77 reproduction. But yeah, the only guitars I own are Vs. Besides an Explorer that got launched off a 3rd story balcony and has a snapped neck, but that's another story entirely. So V shape is what I'm used to. I have fairly broad shoulders, if I bring my picking hand to where it rests in front of the bridge closer to the bridge pickup it feels claustrophobic, kinda cramped. Where it rests in the pic is where my arm naturally placed me and where I imagine my hand rests on my Jacksons. We'll see, these are just first impressions. Hopefully isn't a deal breaker cause it seems like it's gonna be a killer machine.

ME: Ibanez RGs
    MA: Cordoba Custom Flamenco
    MB: Ibanez SRs
    Rig: 5153 / Kemper

Always loved the look of the classic Dean V.

Congrats!

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    Rig: Mesa/Fractal

Sexy!

I think I'd go with more a brass colored bridge, but that's just me. More black against that flame could look really sweet!

Thanks dudes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    Sexy!

I think I'd go with more a brass colored bridge, but that's just me. More black against that flame could look really sweet!
    Yeah if I was leaving everything else stock, a brass colored bridge would look better than the chrome. Don't try to sway me away from going all black sir! lol