Fuck JB pickups - Page 10
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: Fuck JB pickups

ME: Les Paul
    Rig: Kemper-STL plugins

***UPDATE***

The following were the issues and not the pickups
    1. Bad soldering job. I had someone who knows what they are doing redo my shitty soldering.
    2. Electric noise in my recording room. I hooked up my MXR Smart Gate which helped a ton.
    3. The biggest issue was clipping inside the Kemper without seeing it. I wanted more saturation and turned up the amps volume. Even though it was perfectly green in the output section, it was clipping in the power amp section causing lots of noise.

As of now I am content with JBs. Just give me a month and I will hate them again for some other reason.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: CS USA Soloist 7
    MA: Ovation Elite Standard
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rec

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post

That mid-spike is annoying af.

I tried with the JB, but when I play it back to back with the Timbre Wolf the difference is striking.
    It only works for certain guitars, and is kind of a throwback sound. The Timbre Wolf is more of a "modern" pickup in that regard.

I have Fenris coming for my DXMGT, which didn't work with the SD Hybrid or the JB, and the Marshallhead sounds good but isn't saturated enough. The Fenris is basically an A2 Timbre Wolf, so I'm thinking it'll be a little smoother in the top end.

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    It only works for certain guitars, and is kind of a throwback sound. The Timbre Wolf is more of a "modern" pickup in that regard.

I have Fenris coming for my DXMGT, which didn't work with the SD Hybrid or the JB, and the Marshallhead sounds good but isn't saturated enough. The Fenris is basically an A2 Timbre Wolf, so I'm thinking it'll be a little smoother in the top end.
    Interesting. I'm not sure I'd actually want a 'smoother' Timbre Wolf--it's fairly dark-sounding as it is.

I just converted my '85 Soloist to a Timbre Wolf/Hot Rails combo this weekend, and the Timbre Wolf sounds godlike in that guitar. The TW is almost too dark in the Soloist Jr., but the '85 has the bridge pickup positioned closer to the bridge, and the TW is *perfect* in that guitar. Possibly the best Soloist tone I've ever gotten.

I'm going to convert my yellow Soloist Pro to TW/Hot Rails, too, to have three Soloists for different tunings. However, I'd actually considered the Burstbucker for the Pro, just because it's a dark-sounding guitar anyway. However, the Pro will likely have 9-42 strings on it, so the darker tone is actually an advantage in that case.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Interesting. I'm not sure I'd actually want a 'smoother' Timbre Wolf--it's fairly dark-sounding as it is.

I just converted my '85 Soloist to a Timbre Wolf/Hot Rails combo this weekend, and the Timbre Wolf sounds godlike in that guitar. The TW is almost too dark in the Soloist Jr., but the '85 has the bridge pickup positioned closer to the bridge, and the TW is *perfect* in that guitar. Possibly the best Soloist tone I've ever gotten.

I'm going to convert my yellow Soloist Pro to TW/Hot Rails, too, to have three Soloists for different tunings. However, I'd actually considered the Burstbucker for the Pro, just because it's a dark-sounding guitar anyway. However, the Pro will likely have 9-42 strings on it, so the darker tone is actually an advantage in that case.
    The A2 will actually be brigther, but less "spiky". I was going to with a Duncan RTM, but decided to try the Fenris instead.

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    The A2 will actually be brigther, but less "spiky". I was going to with a Duncan RTM, but decided to try the Fenris instead.
    I'm thinking about trying the Dr. Vintage set in my Les Paul. It has Duncan 59s in it now, and they are a little spiky.

I'm thinking about trying the Dr. Vintage set in my Les Paul. It has Duncan 59s in it now, and they are a little spiky.
    I quite liked the Marshallhead in the bridge, just not for this guitar, and the set of them sounds insanely good in Dave's LPC. Plus, at his current prices, you're stealing the damn things - you can almost pay for them by selling the Duncans.