Let's discuss the rather over the top marketing in this Suhr auction. - Page 9
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Let's discuss the rather over the top marketing in this Suhr auction.

ME: CS USA Soloist 7
    MA: Ovation Elite Standard
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rec

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    Does that put everyone in an awkward place, since all of Drew's guitars suck, and we have been trying to find out a polite way to broach it for fucking ever? Yes.
    Sorry. Inca Silver Strat says this comment is incorrect.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Gibson Les Paul
    Rig: Katana

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Because we love you and you're just wrong here and dusting it off as "well it's my opinion". Drew's guitar collection has about the same value as the GDP of a medium sized country. He may be wrong about bourbon being superior to scotch, but he's right about this one.

I have to say, the only time I've enjoyed scotch was Johnny Walker and Coke.

And I'd rather have a Gibson and a Marshall than a 550 and a 5150. I loved my 6505 until I played a JCM 800.

ME: CS USA Soloist 7
    MA: Ovation Elite Standard
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rec

Quote Originally Posted by BornToLooze View Post
    I have to say, the only time I've enjoyed scotch was Johnny Walker and Coke.
    Heathen.

And I'd rather have a Gibson and a Marshall than a 550 and a 5150. I loved my 6505 until I played a JCM 800.
    I love 800s, too, but you're not going to buy one for $500.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: 1990-91 Ibanezes
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SR500
    Rig: Laney IRT Studio

I don't know how 5150's and JCM800's compare pricewise, but you won't get a good Gibson for the price of a used RG550 - you're lucky to get a good Gibson used for 3x the price of a used RG550. That's why RG550's are so widely recommended, because of the great bang for the buck and consistency.

And a good RG550/equivalent can even be better than just good bang for the buck - they can be really good when compared to any guitar. I got my 1991 RG760 for €450 and it's the best guitar I've owned. While I haven't owned a Gibson, I've had ESP's and a PRS which were all significantly more expensive.
    "How can less be more? It's impossible. More is more."
    -Yngwie J. Malmsteen

ME: Gibson Les Paul
    Rig: Katana

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    I don't know how 5150's and JCM800's compare pricewise, but you won't get a good Gibson for the price of a used RG550 - you're lucky to get a good Gibson used for 3x the price of a used RG550. That's why RG550's are so widely recommended, because of the great bang for the buck and consistency.

And a good RG550/equivalent can even be better than just good bang for the buck - they can be really good when compared to any guitar. I got my 1991 RG760 for €450 and it's the best guitar I've owned. While I haven't owned a Gibson, I've had ESP's and a PRS which were all significantly more expensive.
    Try drinking, then it'll be a better comparison.

I haven't tried an RG550, but I've tried plenty of other Ibanezs, there's just something about them that don't do it for me. Every time I try to get a super strat, I wind up going more Strat than super.

ME: EBMM(s)
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I love 800s, too, but you're not going to buy one for $500.
    This. That's part of the reason the 5150 and the 550 are so awesome. They are staples of metal and you can get THE metal sound of of them, and you can spend a grand and get both of them.

IMO the 5150 sounds better than the 800 but I wouldn't mind owning an 800 either.

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

I had that gnarly JCM800 for exactly two weeks before I sold it because it's impossible to get usable distortion at non-tinnitus inducing volumes. Modded Marshall > Marshall

Argbadh - RHLC©

ME: Bowes Nightbringer 7

Sorry. Rant ahead. Its' been a while.

SCULPTED HEEL
    The sculpted heel of the Modern allows for easy access to all 24 frets. For optimum tone and stability, the neck joint must not be too tight or too loose, therefore all of our neck pockets are precisely fitted by hand, by expert craftsmen.

I usually get the guy across the hall to do my neck pockets.

I took a peek at their wood list and costs and now I have lost all respect for Suhr. If these prices are indicative of what they charge now, you're getting ripped off.

Roasted Maple Neck $150.00 - that's a pretty insane upcharge for an additional $5 of wood. Just from this alone i have lost any and all respect for this company.
    White Limba (Korina) Neck $200.00 - This has the same cost as maple.
    Black Limba Neck $200.00 - see above. I just bought two giant neck blanks for my basses that are 48x5x3 for $80 cad yesterday.
    River-Recovered Old Growth Maple Neck $300.00 - dont' use this shit.
    Pau Ferro Neck $200.00 - costs about $10 more than a normal neck. For $200 i could get you a 99.9% defect free/streak free solid ebony neck. Or zirocote. Or snakewood. For $50, i'd make it out of a solid piece of figured chechen rosewood.
    Roasted Birdseye Maple Neck - 3A $550.00 - i can buy a 10 foot long, 2 inch thick, 6 inch wide board of this for under $100 cad. I know that because i just did that yesterday. Mine's roasted though and it's 5aaaaa, not 3aaa.
    Roasted Museum Grade Birdseye Neck - 5A $850.00 - for $850, i could buy 4 slab boards right now that make up the trunk of a tree that are currently classified as 5aaaaa. they're also 8 feet tall, 2 inches thick and about 9 inches wide. At most, a prepped and surfaced check-free board *might* be $100 CAD for me, but the difference is that I'd get 4 fretboards out of the piece i purchased.

Tops

Flame Maple Top - 3/16" $500.00
    Flame Maple Top - 3/16" - One piece $660.00
    Quilted Maple Top - 3/16" $700.00
    Quilted Maple Top - 3/16" - One piece $860.00
    Curly Koa - 3/16" $700.00
    Plain Maple top for Carve/Arch top - 3/4" $400.00
    Flame Maple top for Carve/Arch top - 3/4" $700.00
    Flame Maple top for Carve/Arch top - 3/4" - One piece $1,100.00
    Quilt Maple top for Carve/Arch top - 3/4" $900.00
    Quilt Maple top for Carve/Arch top - 3/4" - One piece $1,300.00 (funfact! spend another 600 bucks cad and you're at the the base model 6 string from me. for 700, i'd source the same thickness top and matching solid headstock to boot)
    Custom Top Selection - Choice of three tops $500.00

I'm not even going to break this pile of shit down. There is only one entry on that list of tops that would cost me more than 100 CAD and that's the koa. I couldn't keep a straight face if someone told me these prices in person. They should actually be ashamed to charge their customers this price. Most of those aren't even 1/4. Give me a break. $500 bucks to pick from 3 tops. Seriously? I buy a custom guitar and I can't pick the top without being gouged $500?

This is $38 CAD. Those pieces are 1/2 slab and a meter long and 9 inches wide.

Seriously. If you're going to buy a Suhr, let me know and I'll save you several hundred bucks and source the woods for them.