Fuck Phillips Head Screws - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fuck Phillips Head Screws

ME: n/a
    Rig: n/a

Not sure what you have in your area, but if you have a business that specializes in fasteners, they may be able to match your screws with something that features a different head.

We have a place here in Norman that has a customer service desk and those guys are good at what they do.

Different grades of metal, different heads, different colors, etc.
    Words I didn't say hurt my feelers... but this is my safe space.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

Fuck anchors. I've had zero neck screws tear out on me and I'm about 70/30 on anchors stripping, getting crossthreads or backing out when you remove the neck screws. The actual shape of the driver, yeah, fuck philips screw heads but that's a totally different issue than where it threads into the neck itself.
    Argbadh - RHLC©

ME: Charvel So Cal
    Rig: Triple Rec

Ever thought of installing brass inserts? Then you can choose whatever the fuck machine screw you like. That fucker ain't moving, ever.
    www.numbskullaudio.com
    Recording. Mixing. Mastering. Editing. Re-Amping.

www.stivesguitarservices.com
    Set-ups. Maintenance. Restoration. Repairs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by Mattayus View Post
    Ever thought of installing brass inserts? Then you can choose whatever the fuck machine screw you like. That fucker ain't moving, ever.
    What brand do you recommend?

I actually do want to do that on a neck, but I forgot what brands people recommend and of course the number one result googling is Ed Roman, who was a big proponent of inserts.

ME: Ibanez S540LTD
    MA: Taylor Big Baby
    Rig: Laney GH50L

Just get em from Mcmaster-Carr

You can futz with the size but I use 8-32 thread as thats least invasive in terms of drill size, and you can still clamp necks on comically tight.
    I would not buy zinc ones as they just don't hold up. Brass is fine if you're careful not to cross thread etc. If you use a drill to attach neck screws at all I'd use steel. I use a drill and brass and I've never had a problem but while I may be stupid, I'm not an idiot. I like stainless over non stainless but the price difference is like 5x.

Zinc plated Steel (not zinc, zinc-plated STEEL).
    https://www.mcmaster.com/90192A157

Stainless
    https://www.mcmaster.com/95807A100

Brass
    https://www.mcmaster.com/90016A009

Edit:

Yeah maple will actually hold machine threads well too, especially cross-grain like that, but you do have to tap it if you want it to hold multiple in/outs in my experience, and I'd use a larger thread. I prefer inserts because I don't see a benefit to not having them, and they're not that expensive; even if you say $20 for 4 for stainless with excessive shipping isn't much in the scale of how much a guitar often costs
    R.I.P. Guitars Etc
    RHLC Chief Promotions Officer