Fuck Phillips Head Screws
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuck Phillips Head Screws

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Fuck Phillips Head Screws

Obvious out of the way, Phillips Head is a good choice, especially on mass produced guitars, because it's the most ubiquitous, everyone has a screwdriver that can handle it.

But it blows my mind that everytime I go to get new neck mounting screws, phillips head is the only choice. I've never got a used guitar over 20 years old where the neck screws weren't somewhat stripped and the trem claw screws weren't really fucking stripped out.

I can see on cheaper guitars, but there are a shit ton of high end manufacturers, none of them have even been like, "you know what, we should go with torx, or a different head, for a high end guitar especially, especially for the neck mounting ones".

I can kind of see the "well, we're traditionalists, the original strats had slot head or phillips and no one is willing to change."

But brands like Anderson have their own non traditional neck joint for fucks sake.

If you're already rocking something like this, you can go with a better head for the screws.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Schecter KM-7 mk iii
    MA: Wasburn D12S
    Rig: Orange Brent Hinds Terror

I like hex headed bolts with threaded inserts but not a ton of people use those.

On my orange head it uses these fucking microscopic phillips screws to hold on the head cover and I had a hell of a time getting them all to break free without deforming.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Phillips head screw are Universal for a reason: They work

Shitty materials made Screws well... that's where the problem lies.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson CS KE2
    MB: LTD Surveyor
    Rig: Diezel Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by mpexus View Post
    Phillips head screw are Universal for a reason: They work

Shitty materials made Screws well... that's where the problem lies.

I reckon an allen head screw would also strip out if it were super tight.
    call me on 911 (USA) or 999 (UK) for poser disposal services

I'm distantly aware of the fact that they work, as well as the secret method of not damaging them known as "using the right size screwdriver", although the knowledge to use them correctly without stripping them has apparently evaded everyone I've ever bought a used guitar from.

"They work, so you can't ask for something better" is a pretty low bar to clear though.

The other ones work better. That's probably why they are used more for important stuff like aircraft and automotive in the modern world.

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

I can honestly say that I've never seen a stripped neck-mounting screw. Maybe only one stripped trem claw screw. It's the tiny ones like direct-mount pickup screws that are the worst for that, in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    I can honestly say that I've never seen a stripped neck-mounting screw. Maybe only one stripped trem claw screw. It's the tiny ones like direct-mount pickup screws that are the worst for that, in my experience.
    I've never stripped a neck mounting screw.

The problem is the people I bought the guitar from.

ME: Ibanez S540LTD
    MA: Taylor Big Baby
    Rig: Laney GH50L

I second the hex machine screws with inserts.

It's not just shitty screws. Shitty screws strip easier by far yes, but philips screws ARE DESIGNED to cam out rather than over torque. Like literally it's an intended design that they get fucked up. I have managed to avoid it because if I get a screw fighting too hard I'll remove it and deepen the pilot, but most people just scream "HAHA SCREWDRIVER GOES BRRRR" and then cam out the fuckin head and now the screw is dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    [I've seen] Maybe only one stripped trem claw screw.
    And that, gents, is all the proof we ever needed that Chris is a fucking alien, blind, or a liar. With how many guitars have gone through his hands there is no way this is true unless he is from mars and buys his guitars from mars as well.

Although perhaps you also buy guitars from people who use strings-for-the-faint-of-heart as well, so they never had to really torque in a claw.
    R.I.P. Guitars Etc
    RHLC Chief Promotions Officer