What grandpa's guitars to buy?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What grandpa's guitars to buy?

ME: 1990-91 Ibanezes
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SR500
    Rig: Laney IRT Studio

What grandpa's guitars to buy?

My Seagull S6 Original has served me well for 10 years or so, but I've been thinking of getting something nicer. The main problem I find with the S6 is that it's somewhat boom-y and perhaps a bit lacking in the high-end - my thumb also gets tired very quickly when playing barre chords. I've been considering guitars in the price range of perhaps a Martin D16 or 000-16 or a Taylor 3xx.

I play quite a lot of fingerpicking on acoustics, but also some strumming. As e.g. Martin has about a million different body styles, I'm not quite sure where to begin looking. I'm also open to other brands than Martin or Taylor. Anyone got suggestions on what I should try? There's a store here that sells both Taylor and Martin (as well as Takamines), another that sells Larrivee and one that sells Collings and Santa Cruz ().
    "How can less be more? It's impossible. More is more."
    -Yngwie J. Malmsteen

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Fender Telecasters
    MA: Emerald X20 Artisan
    MB: STR LS-648
    Rig: Mk IVa / Fractal AX8

If I was looking for a USA made wooden guitar, I'd look Breedlove. They play very easily and sound beautiful.
    "Oh, those jazz guys are just making that stuff up!" - Homer J. Simpson

ME: 6's
    MB: Aerodyne
    Rig: AxeFX III

I would nail down body style and go from there.

I had a Taylor GS Mini before and I want another parlour size for my next one.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Boden 6

A singer/songwriter buddy of mine has a couple of Furchs that he plays that I remember being pretty nice.

ME: EBMM(s)
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

I recently picked up a Taylor after GASing for one basically all my life, and it did not disappoint.

ME: 1990-91 Ibanezes
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SR500
    Rig: Laney IRT Studio

Thanks for the input guys - I guess I'll have to go try some different types of acoustics. Based on the sound of my Seagull and descriptions of the sound of different body styles, something like a 00 or 000- body style could work. Although I bet a high-end dreadnought would have a more refined sound than my Seagull anyway, so I won't rule out those yet.

ME: Gibson
    MA: Fred Welker
    MB: Jazz
    Rig: ENGL/Fender/Marshall

You are definitely going to want a 000 IMHO. If you don't mind buying used you can find the older Alvarez which are awesome. Yamaha makes some killer Acoustics and they can be had at very reasonable prices.
    The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll look down and whisper "No.” ― Alan Moore

ME: Fender Telecasters
    MA: Emerald X20 Artisan
    MB: STR LS-648
    Rig: Mk IVa / Fractal AX8

Quote Originally Posted by Valtteri View Post
    A singer/songwriter buddy of mine has a couple of Furchs that he plays that I remember being pretty nice.
    These are superb guitars, but I believe (in the US anyway) they are a lot more expensive than a Martin D-16. If you can get a nice Furch for the price of a Martin, then that would be a no brainer. An Eastman would also be a great guitar for the money.