Interesting take on US Made Guitars - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Interesting take on US Made Guitars

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    Hell the most famous Fender guys are Freddie Tovares and Abigail Ybarra. Those are not "American" names
    I don't buy guitars made by people who don't have real American names.

Names like,

"Runs with the wind"

or

"Consorts with beavers"

or

"Mighty Rain Cloud"

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez RGIXL7-ABL
    MB: Ibanez SR505
    Rig: Fractal Audio AX8

If Freddie Tovares and Abigail Ybarra are not "American" names, then I have no idea what an "American name" is. I mean, I'm pretty sure that Abigail has been one of the most popular female names in the US for over 100 years pretty consistently, and all the variations that Freddie comes from (Fred, Frederick, etc.) have been pretty popular in the US too (with the Freddie abbreviation/nickname being arguably the most "American"). If it's the last name, then does that mean American last names can only be from England or they aren't American? In that case, I don't have an American name either, and my first name is one of the most popular male names in the US (much like Abigail is one of the most popular female names in the US).

So yeah, maybe Cameron meant native American names or something.

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Scale length.
    That's certainly a big part of it. This one's just a really loose-sounding guitar, though. My Yamaha RGX-1212A has the same construction and scale but is tighter on the low end.

The Junior loves 9-42 strings but starts to lose definition when you go with thicker gauges than that. It's fantastic for recording wild leads, and it'd probably be good for gonzo Vernon Reid-style rhythms in a power trio where there isn't any double-tracking. It'll dominate any mix. Oddly enough, a Gibson 500T sounds better in the bridge than anything else I've tried so far.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by Naren View Post
    ... I have no idea what an "American name" is.
    What are you talking about? There are plenty of really obvious traditional American names I can think up off the top of my head.

Like,

"Ramblin' Bill"

"Batman"

and

"The Artist Formerly Known as Prince"

ME: Jackson CS KE2
    MB: LTD Surveyor
    Rig: Diezel Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Naren View Post
    So yeah, maybe Cameron meant native American names or something.
    Hispanic sounding surnames indicate immigrating from Latin America, possibly Mexico and not having a lineage within the United States... I think we all know what he meant, so no need to nitpick.

The concept of "American" is vague anyway, given how many different ethnic groups there were prior to Conquistadors in the southern part or other European settlers in the north. (Columbus era onwards), plus there's the evidence of Vikings reaching North America and so little ancient documentation/evidence of "native" life and culture...

ANYWAY... Guitars built in the USA are usually overpriced and the Japanese can do it better
    call me on 911 (USA) or 999 (UK) for poser disposal services

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

Humans aren't actually native to North America, as you all know. We're all a bunch of stragglers who wandered in, one way or another.

The Japanese don't actually better guitars, they just screw them up less frequently.

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

I can’t recall ever playing a bad EBMM. They’ve all sounded at least good, if not great, and have a very high level of workmanship. I’m no fan of the PRS sound, but the same description applies. I think the issue is most people think of Gibson when they think of American guitars, and their QC has been in the toilet for over a decade.

ME: Ibanez RGIXL7-ABL
    MB: Ibanez SR505
    Rig: Fractal Audio AX8

Quote Originally Posted by BStobart View Post
    Hispanic sounding surnames indicate immigrating from Latin America, possibly Mexico and not having a lineage within the United States... I think we all know what he meant, so no need to nitpick.
    If that's what he meant, then he couldn't be more wrong. I mean, a ton of US states have names that are literally Spanish: Florida (Spanish for "Flower"/"Flowery"), Colorado (Spanish for "Colored red"), California (the name of a location in a Spanish novel), Nevada ("snow-covered" in Spanish), Montana (from "Mountain" in Spanish), Texas (the Spanish spelling of a native American word), New Mexico (which was actually formed before the country of Mexico, though New was originally Nuevo"), Arizona (again, the Spanish spelling of a native American word), Utah (again, the Spanish spelling of a native American word). I could keep going for days, but I think you get my point.