Recommend me some new strings
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me some new strings

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa JP-2C

Recommend me some new strings

I played 9 gauge for a long time, but about 8 or 9 years ago I made the transition to 10 gauge and really haven't looked back. The issue I have right now is with one guitar. I have an Ibanez 7 string with one of those zero edge trems, where there's two large permanent springs and two smaller springs.

I've had the smaller springs removed for the guitar for years and have had no problems until recently. I'm not sure if there is a slight production change to D'Addario strings or if it's just the trem springs getting older, but I can't use my normal 10-59 pack anymore with just the two springs. Mind you these are NOT normal trem springs, they're a bit longer, and they've worked for me for a long time with just the two. Even on the tightest spring setting, right now it's just unplayable with just the two springs, and I am not sure what changed. The guitar plays fine with 10s and all 4 springs, but this specific trem is super stiff when I have the additional springs in there.

Getting these specific springs replaced is a chore, I can't fit a better trem in the cavity, and this is not so big an issue I'd punt on the guitar. So I'm wondering if there's a string pack out there I'm just not finding that is lighter than 10s but heavier than 9s? Maybe a heavy bottom light top pack or something, but those are usually 10/11 hybrid packs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: EBMM(s)
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

Big strings and low tunings brochacho.

Svend?

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Blackmachine
    Rig: Helix/Matrix/Zilla

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Svend?
    Seriously? wtf?

Also, buy a 9.5-44 pack and a single 7th string?

ME: EBMM(s)
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

I am in disguise.

ME: Schecter KM-7 mk iii
    MA: Wasburn D12S
    Rig: Orange Brent Hinds Terror

Maybe try a set of balanced tension 10s?
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

ME: Ibanez RGIXL7-ABL
    MB: Ibanez SR505
    Rig: Fractal Audio AX8

10-59 is what I've used for... maybe 12-13 years now? I do try new stuff every now and then. For example, my 8 string has 9-80 (with a 60 instead of a 59 for B), which is great, and I've tested out other gauges on 7s, but 10-59 really are my faves, both on trem guitars (though I do use 4 springs personally) and on hardtails.

I'll also add that I used 10-59 on my J Custom, which also had a Zero Edge trem with no problems at all, though I did crank the trem way back early on, so that might have something to do with it (because yeah, I don't think you can increase that beyond 2 springs).

That said, like many have mentioned, 9.5 IS the gauge between 9 and 10. And you can find a lot of different string sets that start with a 9.5.

Thanks Eric! Yeah my other guitars have 4 springs as well and they work fine, but this specific trem is super stiff because of how those smaller springs are attached to a bar pulling the block a bit differently.

I'll be honest, Ibanez missed the mark with this design and I'd never buy a guitar with this trem again.