Metal Guitarist Forums banner

I need some V in my life

Tags
life
5K views 46 replies 16 participants last post by  General Klinger 
#1 ·
I need a V. Enough said :lol:

I don't want one with a FR, because I don't have the patience to tune it.

Looking at a Jackson King V Scott Ian model, an ESP LTD Vulture (James Hetfield sig) and an Epiphone Flying V.

Reviews on the Scott Ian model look good. Thoughts on a brand/model I'm missing?

#5 ·
I feel like the Jackson X series has gotten better in recent years. My 7-string Indo Soloist is a hellacious player and I got a great deal on it to boot so if you have a chance to check one out in the flesh I'd do that. I don't think any one fiddle you listed is much better/worse than the other so at the end of the day if its aesthetically pleasing and gets the job done I think you're gonna be alllllright.

#7 ·
I need a V. Enough said :lol:

I don't want one with a FR, because I don't have the patience to tune it.

Looking at a Jackson King V Scott Ian model, an ESP LTD Vulture (James Hetfield sig) and an Epiphone Flying V.

Reviews on the Scott Ian model look good. Thoughts on a brand/model I'm missing?
I own and pretty much only play Vs myself. If you go Jackson, do yourself a favor and don't get anything less than the pro series. Even then, the newer pro series I have isn't as good as the older Japanese one I have, but it gets the job done. I own one LTD that I never play because it feels cheap and the neck is chunky compared to my Jacksons. That said, I'm probably gonna give them another shot with the black metal series Arrow. It has a floyd though. Can't speak much for Epiphone, have an Explorer that's broken. I remember it playing fast, probably cause of the shorter scale, but I didn't like the neck shape. I have a Dean V that rips, plays great, but it's a discontinued model. V shape neck takes some getting used to, I don't hate it though. Based on the models you mentioned, I'd say check out the Dean select series or the Martucci sig.
https://www.deanguitars.com/query?upc=818896024952
https://www.deanguitars.com/query?upc=818896021203

This looks like a solid deal right here. BKPs and a comes with a case.
https://reverb.com/item/35309724-jackson-pro-series-kvt-king-v-w-bareknuckle-nailbomb-pickups

#11 ·
Schecter has the V1s too. I'd have no concerns about buying one of them sight unseen. If I've played 25 Schecters in my life, all 25 of them have been pretty damn solid. I had a C1 for like 10 years that I never once adjusted the truss rod or the trem. The thing was invincible.

#14 ·
That single hum Solar looks killer. Would be cool if it was the red color of the other one. Could do without the red inlay, but meh. Reverse headstocks absolutely slay. Dean headstocks look super pissed too. Something about wielding a Dean feels like you're going to battle. That ocean burst quilt looks sick, the zebra pickups throws it off for me though. I've never played a Solar but the specs look solid. I think you'd be in good shape with any of those. Just be mindful of the 24.75" scale/22 frets on the Deans vs. 25.5"/24 frets on the others. Personally, I prefer the smaller scale, but as Jackson would have it I play mostly on 25.5s...Also, the V shape neck on the Deans. It's not like a sharp V shape. Basically, take the neck on your LTD and shave out some of the meat to left and right of the truss rod and that's what it is. For me it fatigues my thumb faster than others when I'm doing practice routine single note stuff higher on the fretboard, but when doing power chord or chugging stuff on the heavy strings it actually provides a little more for your thumb to kinda lock onto and rest on. It can be awkward depending on how you play. If you're set on a Dean I'd say check local shops to see if you can find one with a V neck to try first.

#19 ·
I do love a good V.

Despite the (warranted) Epiphone hate, the late 90s Korean white flying V I had was an astoungly good guitar for the money. The logo was on the truss rod cover and the previous owner had swapped it for a Gibson one. Youd never tell the difference. In fact you would, because no Gibson V played this nicely.

I'm a little dubious of the Brent Hinds sig, as gorgeous as it is (a silver burst done right!) because within 6 months of their release, the second hand market was absolutely saturated with them :lol: That's never a good sign...

#31 ·
I do love a good V.

I'm a little dubious of the Brent Hinds sig, as gorgeous as it is (a silver burst done right!) because within 6 months of their release, the second hand market was absolutely saturated with them :lol: That's never a good sign...
I'd be willing to bet a lot of people bought them without playing them, received them and realized they used actual baseball bats for the necks and said "Fuck this."

I was never big on V's, but when I saw pics of it I suddenly started wanting a V. I played one at a Sam Ash and though I've got decent sized hands, I've played '54 Strats with smaller necks than that thing. I'd need a few hours on one to be able to tell if it's something I could get over in the long run.

#46 ·
That's a good look'n one! FWIW, I had an el cheapo LTD E-50 for a few years, and it was quite more than worth the $269 I paid for it brand new. LTD's are the exception to the Squier rule :yesway:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.