Metal Guitarist Forums banner

HS or HSS Mod?

Tags
hss mod
6K views 43 replies 14 participants last post by  Leon 
#1 ·
HS or HSS? Your thoughts :)

I'm on the verge of Modding one of my EVH Striped guitars, it will be the B&W since originally has a Pickguard so if I can hide it later if I don't like or get fed up with the look. I was planning initially to make it a HH but with time I'm kinda diverting to go for either HS or why not HSS?

HSS is to me more versatile since I was kinda hoping to have it like a mean motherfuker Metal machine but also get those sweet Single Coils Straty sounds, especially the Mid and Neck positions that I just love. I know it will never be a real Strat but... I'm also trying to avoid buying a new guitar as well cough Nick Johnston Schecter cough

My initial thought was in fact making it a HH like I saw on this Italian dude on YT but with a Transparent pickguard and having the Controls routing showing, why the Pickguard? Well because I can't stand seeing the Screw Holes on the body ;)

But then...I started to wonder why not make it a HS or a HSS?

Also these EVH B&W's guitar the original Pickup is Direct Mount, the Pickguard is just there but has no purpose (except to cover the control cavity). I don't know if I'm going to route it all for Direct Mount or pickguard attached pickups. I need to route the Bridge to accomodate all other Brands and they are routed only for the EVH Pickup. For now a Duncan Distortion will go there until I get a Suhr Aldrich to try.

Tell me your opinions on this one :)

See less See more
#3 ·
I'd vote HS as well, although HSS is cool too. I think I've used the middle pickup a bit on my S540 for clean tones, but in the 4th position (so I guess it was the middle single and one coil from the neck) - but now that I have the neck Air Norton wired in parallel it's almost like a neck single coil and I only end up using that for cleans. So I see more use for the middle single-coil if you have a HSH, but I never use it on a HSS-guitar.

#10 ·
HS.

I've never owned a guitar with a middle pickup, though I did borrow one from my uncle when I was 17 for about 6 months or so. Seeing as the middle position is the one I use the least by far, I'd really have no use for a pickup there (I do like how the single position sounds in HH, HS, HSS, HHH, SS, SSS, and so on guitars, but I just have never used it in a song for any band I've ever been in. The bridge and neck positions always seem like better options, personally). A single coil in the neck for leads and cleans can sound pretty nice.

#11 ·
OK seem HS it will be. It was my first choice anyway so I still have an excuse to later get a new HSS guitar :D

For now it will have the Duncan Distortion and an Area 67, since I will later change to the Suhr Aldrich I'm wondering what Suhr single should I put there? Are they also Noiseless like the Dimarzio Areas?

#12 ·
I love the sound of the Middle S, but I learned on an HH, and the Middle S is right where I dig in when I pick, so it hit it whenever I go into my zone of just playing and not thinking, which kicks me out of the zone, so fuck you Middle S! :lol:

#27 ·
Damn, I wish I knew about that row when I was there. Though, I was only there for 12 hours, so I had to pick my sites carefully :lol:. It was a layover, I landed at CDG around 9:30AM and the connecting flight to Munich was at 9:00PM. I bussed from the airport down to the Arc de Triomphe, walked down the Champs-Elysees to Place de la Concorde, crossed the Seine to make my way to the Eiffel Tower, then back up to the Arc to pickup the bus back to the airport :)

#36 ·
Ok after some time here it is my EVH HS machine and it came out much better looking than I was expecting :smoking:

Suhr Aldrich 53 (the F-Spaced) on the Bridge (Push Push to split it) and an Area 67 on the Neck. Took me two months to get the Suhr from Thomann since it was always sold out and as soon it arrived i Bought it. Next day was sold out again so maybe i bought their last one. Why the Transparent Pickguard? Well... I couldn't stand seeing the screw holes and also the Controls needed to be fixed so instead of going normal cut Black pickguard like i see everybody doing I decided to go Transparent :)

The Suhr is amazing!!!! Much more In you face than the EVH (import) pickup, aggressive AF as the Distortion but with less High end fizz . Love it so far.

Things I will change later on since I'm not getting into it. It has mix the Charvel Japan Control Position on the Pickup Selector but original EVH Volume position. I will go for a normal 3 way switch later on. Now we are in Lockdown again so it will be months since it can happen.

#43 ·
Thanks guys :)

Make me want to go buy more and Mod them as well.. but now the prices skyrockets on anything EVH...

I was planning in also replacing the pickup on the Bumblebee, I keep hearing nice things about the Pariah pickups. talking directly with them they seem really nice people.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.