HS or HSS Mod?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: HS or HSS Mod?

HS or HSS Mod?

HS or HSS? Your thoughts

I'm on the verge of Modding one of my EVH Striped guitars, it will be the B&W since originally has a Pickguard so if I can hide it later if I don't like or get fed up with the look. I was planning initially to make it a HH but with time I'm kinda diverting to go for either HS or why not HSS?

HSS is to me more versatile since I was kinda hoping to have it like a mean motherfuker Metal machine but also get those sweet Single Coils Straty sounds, especially the Mid and Neck positions that I just love. I know it will never be a real Strat but... I'm also trying to avoid buying a new guitar as well cough Nick Johnston Schecter cough

My initial thought was in fact making it a HH like I saw on this Italian dude on YT but with a Transparent pickguard and having the Controls routing showing, why the Pickguard? Well because I can't stand seeing the Screw Holes on the body

But then...I started to wonder why not make it a HS or a HSS?

Also these EVH B&W's guitar the original Pickup is Direct Mount, the Pickguard is just there but has no purpose (except to cover the control cavity). I don't know if I'm going to route it all for Direct Mount or pickguard attached pickups. I need to route the Bridge to accomodate all other Brands and they are routed only for the EVH Pickup. For now a Duncan Distortion will go there until I get a Suhr Aldrich to try.

Tell me your opinions on this one

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: 6's
    MB: Aerodyne
    Rig: AxeFX III

HS, unless you've used the middle pickup before and will use it again.

ME: 1990-91 Ibanezes
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SR500
    Rig: Laney IRT Studio

I'd vote HS as well, although HSS is cool too. I think I've used the middle pickup a bit on my S540 for clean tones, but in the 4th position (so I guess it was the middle single and one coil from the neck) - but now that I have the neck Air Norton wired in parallel it's almost like a neck single coil and I only end up using that for cleans. So I see more use for the middle single-coil if you have a HSH, but I never use it on a HSS-guitar.
    "How can less be more? It's impossible. More is more."
    -Yngwie J. Malmsteen

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by budda View Post
    HS, unless you've used the middle pickup before and will use it again.
    Yeah that's the thing... together with the Neck (4th Position) it's probably my fav sound on Single coils. But at same time it's always in the way when riffing

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    So I see more use for the middle single-coil if you have a HSH, but I never use it on a HSS-guitar.
    Not even for those beautiful cleans only a Strat on the 4th position can give you? You just prefer the Neck only?

ME: Blackmachine
    Rig: Helix/Matrix/Zilla

H-S for sure.

ME: EBMM(s)
    MA: Taylor 214
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

+1 for HS

ME: 1990-91 Ibanezes
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SR500
    Rig: Laney IRT Studio

Quote Originally Posted by mpexus View Post
    Not even for those beautiful cleans only a Strat on the 4th position can give you? You just prefer the Neck only?
    With the guitars I've had, I've preferred neck only (with a neck single coil that is). Might be I haven't had the right guitars/pickups. But if you like the 4th position, then go for it.