NGD - 1998/99 J - custom RG1880 - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: NGD - 1998/99 J - custom RG1880

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Mike and Mikes guitars, only know it from reverb where I saw the listing so I'm taking what they say they are at face value. What I will say is this 22 year old guitar showed up, tuned up and played flawlessly having travelled halfway round the world
    They're not really a restoration place, as far as I can tell. From what I've seen on Reverb and eBay, they import guitars from Japan and resell them at a fairly high markup.

It's equivalent to what all the Japanese guitar brokers do on eBay, except that Mike & Mike actually buy the guitar first, import it, and then put it up on Reverb/eBay. The brokers just scan Japanese merchant and auction sites, grab the pictures without authorization, and then toss up the listing on eBay. They never even see the guitar until you click "buy it now" on their auction.

Mike & Mike's is a more ethical business model, but you definitely pay a premium for having the guitar already out of Japan.

Since they're in Washington State, I figure they have a contact in Japan who does their buying for them.

Regardless, this is awesome--the J-Customs are all so cool-looking.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez RGIXL7-ABL
    MB: Ibanez SR505
    Rig: Fractal Audio AX8

Gorgeous finish on that thing. Love that green.

Yeah I cannot get into ToL. There is nothing br00tal about some grapevine up the fretboard.
    While I will agree that it's not "brutal," I do think it's beautiful and happen to be a fan of the Tree of Life inlay, especially how it's handled in lots of J Customs.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    It's equivalent to what all the Japanese guitar brokers do on eBay, except that Mike & Mike actually buy the guitar first, import it, and then put it up on Reverb/eBay. The brokers just scan Japanese merchant and auction sites, grab the pictures without authorization, and then toss up the listing on eBay. They never even see the guitar until you click "buy it now" on their auction.
    I've always wondered how those guys even sell anything, but it's probably more of a waiting game where it might take 1-4 years to sell a certain guitar at the ridiculous price they've listed it at, but eventually someone buys it (like, for example, a guitar that originally in Japan cost $2500 new that they're selling used for $4000 or $5000).

ME: Suhr M5
    MB: Squire Jazz
    Rig: Mesa Mk V + Axe FX II

Mike and Mikes guitars, only know it from reverb where I saw the listing so I'm taking what they say they are at face value. What I will say is this 22 year old guitar showed up, tuned up and played flawlessly having travelled halfway round the world
    They're not really a restoration place, as far as I can tell. From what I've seen on Reverb and eBay, they import guitars from Japan and resell them at a fairly high markup.

Mike & Mike's is a more ethical business model, but you definitely pay a premium for having the guitar already out of Japan.

Since they're in Washington State, I figure they have a contact in Japan who does their buying for them.

Regardless, this is awesome--the J-Customs are all so cool-looking.
    Maybe a high markup in the US but paying for this paying 140usd for shipping and then around 500usd on import duty has ment that I've still spent about 100gbp less than what the last couple ive seen go for in Europe and the condition of this one is about 10x better than all the others I've seen.

If you ignore the additional costs the flat price i paid for this would buy me a premium series ibanez in the UK if I were buying new, and not even the top tier premiums.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

If you got a price you're happy with, then it's a good deal.

Mike & Mike's is funny that way, too, because some of their listings are in line with what you see the Japanese guitar brokers charging for the same model, and then others are way higher and leave you scratching your head.

I've never had to pay import duties here in the USA on a Japanese guitar, but I imagine the situation is different in Europe. $500 is outrageous.

ME: Suhr M5
    MB: Squire Jazz
    Rig: Mesa Mk V + Axe FX II

If you got a price you're happy with, then it's a good deal.

Mike & Mike's is funny that way, too, because some of their listings are in line with what you see the Japanese guitar brokers charging for the same model, and then others are way higher and leave you scratching your head.

I've never had to pay import duties here in the USA on a Japanese guitar, but I imagine the situation is different in Europe. $500 is outrageous.
    Its just struck me that it may not be 500usd my idea of gbp/usd is pretty stuck about 10 years ago it was 350 gbp

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Nice!

Never been a vine inlay fan either, ignore the haters.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: EBMM(s)
    MA: Taylor 214
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Nice!

Never been a vine inlay fan either, ignore the haters.
    Heretic.

ME: Ibanez RG 550
    MB: Sandberg Ken Taylor 5
    Rig: Diezel Herbert

You got a great price!

Fractal Audio Systems  Shred Training  Angel Vivaldi
Bowes Guitarworks  NumbSkull Audio Production

VigLink badge