Can anyone ID this Kramer? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can anyone ID this Kramer?

ME: CS USA Soloist 7
    MA: Ovation Elite Standard
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rec

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    My first electric was a Memphis Les Paul copy that my parents got me for Christmas 1982. Setneck, unlike most of them--though I'm sure the wood underneath the paint was some mystery laminate, since it was a featherweight.

Ironically, my college roommate and I agreed that it was a better guitar than the first actual Les Paul I acquired!
    A lot of those aren't bad at all, especially the setnecks. Chambering and pancaking were pretty common on the low end LP copies in the '70s, IIRC.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Schecter Loomis
    MA: Ibanez classical
    MB: Ibanez SR400QM
    Rig: Fenders

Quote Originally Posted by Not Mr. Test View Post
    Well that was fast.

The only difference I can find is that the ZX30H's on Google all actually say ZH30H on the headstock. Mine just had the Kramer logo.
    I guess I've never seen a ZX30H, but my first guitar was a Kramer ZX30.

-Maple neck
    -Rosewood fretboard
    -"Select by EMG" pickups
    -Strat-style bridge
    -body was painted yellow
    -Had the normal Strat knobs and pickup switch configuration
    -Black/white 3-ply pickguard

I don't remember if it said "ZX30" on the headstock, but I highly doubt it. All of this is from memory, since I traded it in back in 1989 for my current oldest guitar (Kramer 615).

By the way, my next guitar (after the 615) is a Kramer ZX10. Does not have anything on the headstock other than "Kramer".

ME: Ibanez RGIXL7-ABL
    MB: Ibanez SR505
    Rig: Fractal Audio AX8

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    There are people that love those things.

They all smoke crack.
    I saw a YouTube video a while back that was about something completely different, but it had this part talking about people who collect those old Teiscos and are big fans. It blew my mind. Like, what? Why? When? How? Where? Just... huh?!

My second guitar was an Epiphone Les Paul Studio and I got it less than a year after my first guitar. Once I got that second guitar, I virtually never touched the first one. Plus, while I eagerly got rid of that crappy Teisco and gave it to my brother's friend, I upgraded the Epiphone with a new nut and new pickups (Seymour Duncan '59s), and my brother has it at his house right now.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: 1990-91 Ibanezes
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SR500
    Rig: Laney IRT Studio

My first electric was a Ibanez Gio GRX20 - it was pretty crap with the strings a mile of the fretboard. Looking back though, I think the biggest problem was the setup and I just didn't have the knowledge to set it up properly (and this was before we had a proper internet connection at home so couldn't get help from the internet). However, the next guitar I bought was the Ibanez S540LTD I still own, which had needed minimal adjustments in the almost 20 years I've owned it - it's just a rock-solid guitar. A refret might be needed pretty soon though, but I'll gladly pay for it even though it's probably around half of what you pay for one of these guitars on the used market.
    "How can less be more? It's impossible. More is more."
    -Yngwie J. Malmsteen

ME: CS USA Soloist 7
    MA: Ovation Elite Standard
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rec

Quote Originally Posted by Naren View Post
    I saw a YouTube video a while back that was about something completely different, but it had this part talking about people who collect those old Teiscos and are big fans. It blew my mind. Like, what? Why? When? How? Where? Just... huh?!

My second guitar was an Epiphone Les Paul Studio and I got it less than a year after my first guitar. Once I got that second guitar, I virtually never touched the first one. Plus, while I eagerly got rid of that crappy Teisco and gave it to my brother's friend, I upgraded the Epiphone with a new nut and new pickups (Seymour Duncan '59s), and my brother has it at his house right now.
    modern "cheap" guitars are light-years ahead of where they were when I started playing. Keep in mind ('cause I'm old) that a $200 Hondo was like buying a $600 guitar now, and for $600 I can get something with Duncans and a Floyd Rose or a Mexi Fender.

ME: EBMM(s)
    MA: Taylor 214
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

modern "cheap" guitars are light-years ahead of where they were when I started playing. Keep in mind ('cause I'm old) that a $200 Hondo was like buying a $600 guitar now, and for $600 I can get something with Duncans and a Floyd Rose or a Mexi Fender.
    1000x this. Look how great Schecter C1s and PRS SEs are compared to the Kramer I posted.

ME: Ibanez RGIXL7-ABL
    MB: Ibanez SR505
    Rig: Fractal Audio AX8

Oh, for sure. Even though my first guitar was from the 1960s, I started playing guitar in the 1990s and tried quite a few guitars within my price range from my second on, but guitars within the same price range in 2020 are ridiculously beyond that same price range in the 90s. It really just shows how far the technology has come (and I'd also imagine that guitars in the 90s were way beyond guitars in the 60s). I've even seen people making $200 guitars from nowadays sound pretty good with very little adjustments.