You ever play a guitar that has no business being as nice as it is? - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 9 to 16 of 41

Thread: You ever play a guitar that has no business being as nice as it is?

  1. #9


    Join Date: Feb 2010
    Location: Laramie, Wyoming
    ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

    iTrader: 15 (100%)

    No, I only play guitars that are exactly as nice as it is their business to be.

    In all seriousness though, the only correct answer to this question is "pretty much every Japanese guitar from about 1986ish to 1992ish".

    I'm assuming, how nice something has any business being is a reference to the price they go for, and those were way undervalued for fucking ever. Not as much as they once were, but there are still gems out there.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements
     

  3. #10


    Join Date: Sep 2008
    Location: London ONT
    ME: 6's
    MB: Aerodyne
    Rig: AxeFX III

    iTrader: 1 (100%)

    I got a jay turser flying V for $100 for my brother and it was a lot of fun to play and sounded pretty good.
    ________________________________________
    Needs Sleep

  4. #11


    Join Date: Dec 2013
    Location: Everett, Washington
    ME: Ibanez 540P
    MA: Ovation Celebrity CS257
    MB: Ibanez SRX2EX1
    Rig: BIAS FX

    iTrader: 0

    For me, it's a Mitchell MD-300. I bought one at a pawn shop for about $100 so I'd have a guitar at my parents house when I came to visit. I was so surprised by its neck that I bought another one when I got home and put some money into it to upgrade the PUPs and electronics. It's definitely become a favorite guitar to play.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements
     

  6. #12


    Join Date: Oct 2016
    Location: Corpus Christi
    ME: LTD H7, KM6, 540SLTD
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: Helix

    iTrader: 0

    Love those garage sale finds. $150 for two guitars that play well? Can't beat that with a rigged election.

    Quote Originally Posted by Not Mr. Test View Post
    This applies to just about every older Fernandes I've played. I've never laid hands on a bad one, and almost always think "You know, I really should get one of these" after I put it down.
    I have a buddy who's a really good bass player and gigs weekly. He only buys Fernandes basses and swaps the pups for 1/4-pounders and does a set up. So, he's never more than $500 into one and they play like a $1500-2000 bass.

    Quote Originally Posted by scole View Post
    For me, it's a Mitchell MD-300. I bought one at a pawn shop for about $100 so I'd have a guitar at my parents house when I came to visit. I was so surprised by its neck that I bought another one when I got home and put some money into it to upgrade the PUPs and electronics. It's definitely become a favorite guitar to play.
    There's a guy around here who is always buying Mitchell's from GC then trying to flip them on the local Facebook instrument trader, has this pushy sales pitch of how they're better than any name brand guitar you can buy. Bought one for my kid last year and it was definitely not up to the hype, but for an entry-level guitar it was much better than my first one (some Hondo pos).
    Tone Chasers Anonymous ™ - I’m not just a member, I’m the President.
    Don’t expect much, it’s not like I’m a rocket surgeon.

  7. #13


    Join Date: Apr 2010
    Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
    ME: Hacked tele and RGs
    MA: Freshman
    Rig: Mesa Mk V:25

    iTrader: 1 (100%)

    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra Commander View Post
    I've got a suhr rasmus Guthrie govan sig model. It's basically the suhr equivalent to a made in China epiphone. But it's incredible. Nothing comes close in terms of playability or tone, and it's the most versatile guitar I've ever owned. It cost me £600 which was a good price considering. I usually mod the crap out of all my guitars, but this thing I won't touch. I wouldn't even change the strings in the first 18 months of owning it for fear I might use a slightly different string gauge and screw with the setup
    Weren't they pleked and set up in the states or something weird like that? Hardly surprising it plays so good.... and that it was too costly for them to produce so they had to bin the range!

  8. #14


    Join Date: Sep 2012
    Location: wickford
    ME: SIggery Heresy,
    MA: Some old washburn
    MB: some Vintage bass
    Rig: Mark IV, axe fx std

    iTrader: 1 (100%)

    Quote Originally Posted by astrocreep View Post
    Weren't they pleked and set up in the states or something weird like that? Hardly surprising it plays so good.... and that it was too costly for them to produce so they had to bin the range!
    Basically. I read they selected wood from the custom shop, cnc'd and fretted it in China, shipped it back for a plek and set up in the suhr custom shop, then put the same gotoh hardware and suhr pickups the standard line get.

    Surprisingly, it was a business model that failed to be profitable
    I DOEN A BAD MURDA.

  9. #15


    Join Date: Oct 2008
    Location: Cambridgeshire, UK
    ME: Charvel San Dimas
    MB: Charvel 3b
    Rig: Marshall JVM210H (modded)

    iTrader: 3 (100%)

    Late 90's/early 00's Korean Epiphones are like this. I've had a Firebird Studio and Flying V from this era, and they were both absolutely ridiculous.
    www.numbskullaudio.com
    Recording. Mixing. Mastering. Editing. Re-Amping.

    www.stivesguitarservices.com
    Set-ups. Maintenance. Restoration. Repairs.

  10. #16


    Join Date: Nov 2008
    Location: SoCal
    ME: DC727
    MB: SR505

    iTrader: 0

    Quote Originally Posted by Mattayus View Post
    Late 90's/early 00's Korean Epiphones are like this. I've had a Firebird Studio and Flying V from this era, and they were both absolutely ridiculous.
    Good to know, this is the only one I've ever played but it's held up well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron1 View Post
    Love those garage sale finds. $150 for two guitars that play well? Can't beat that with a rigged election.



    Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    ^


    Also, for me, it was my old MIK Squier, my very first electric guitar. My old guitar player used to prefer it over his MIA Strat and his Charvel Model 2. Great, thin but round neck, no fret buzz no matter how low you dropped the action.
    My first guitar was a Yamaha Pacifica and it sucked, but I had a Squier pretty soon after that and I do miss that thing occasionally.

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    No, I only play guitars that are exactly as nice as it is their business to be.

    In all seriousness though, the only correct answer to this question is "pretty much every Japanese guitar from about 1986ish to 1992ish".

    I'm assuming, how nice something has any business being is a reference to the price they go for, and those were way undervalued for fucking ever. Not as much as they once were, but there are still gems out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Naren View Post
    In short, no.

    But that's simply because I think that, no matter how cheap a guitar is or even if it's from a brand that cork sniffers tend to look their nose down on (for example, I have an Agile I got used for $250 or so that plays beautifully and sounds excellent), it definitely does have business being nice.
    First off, it's just a title you cunts Secondly, I actually wasn't concerned solely with the price, after all I don't even know what they sold for new. It was more about it being a random yard sale find (have you seen the condition instruments can be in at these things?) + not knowing anything about Epiphone so I had assumed their name brand pickups would be hot garbage. Everything about the instrument turned out to be nicer than I expected. I'm aware there's no inherent "niceness" of instruments

Tags for this Thread


Fractal Audio Systems  Shred Training  Angel Vivaldi
Bowes Guitarworks  NumbSkull Audio Production



VigLink badge