You ever play a guitar that has no business being as nice as it is?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: You ever play a guitar that has no business being as nice as it is?

ME: DC727
    MB: SR505

You ever play a guitar that has no business being as nice as it is?

When I was in high school, my dad woke me up early one morning and said he'd been by a yard sale where they were selling two guitars. They turned out to be an Ibanez Iceman II and some Epiphone asymmetric V. Got them both for $150. At the time I really liked the Iceman - I'd only been playing (electric) guitar for about a year at that point, and didn't really know what made one guitar better than the other, I just liked the shape and it had a Kahler trem, which was new to me.

However, I quickly realized just how much I loved the neck on the V, and I would have played it a hell of a lot more if I could play it sitting down. I've now had the guitar for ~15 years or so and over those years, every single person who's picked it up has remarked about how comfortable it is to play. Fast forward to today; I've been playing nothing but 7 strings since roughly 2008, and I got an urge to play some 6 string stuff so I decided to restring it and put it in drop C. This thing not only still slays after all this time with absolutely zero maintenance, but the Epiphone brand tuners are actually very stable, and even the "E-Series Ultra Hot" pickups sound remarkably good. It's also the only 22 fret, 24.75" scale guitar I've ever owned (I literally didn't realize it was only 22 frets until I busted it out of the closet today). Whatever the cause, this thing has some serious mojo and I see myself playing it a lot more going forward.

I also finally got around to searching for what the guitar actually is, and apparently it's a Demon V and is quite rare due to being made for only one year.

You ever play a guitar that has no business being as nice as it is?-20201120_104636-jpg

TL;DR
    $75 MIK Epiphone plays great, sounds great, every bit as good as my MIJ Ibby RG7621 tbh.

2. Thanked by:

3. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    Rig: Mesa/Fractal

I've never really left a guitar as-is, but the least mods I ever did to a low-cost guitar was an LTD EX-50 that got new pups and tuners. Got it for $269 brand new from a Sam Ash in Cleveland, and it definitely played better than it should have

ME: Wolfgang
    MA: Grandpas guitarz
    MB: lol
    Rig: EVH/Bias FX 2

Yes, a Samick LP I have.

Tried to replace it, flirted with selling it but after trying a ton of 2k+ Gibsons it dawned on me to just keep it and enjoy having a great LP tone regardless of the name on the headstock. All its had done is a Air Classis put in the bridge and a parts bin pup in the neck.
    Vag Jackson, Man Of Action

6. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: DC727
    MB: SR505

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    I've never really left a guitar as-is, but the least mods I ever did to a low-cost guitar was an LTD EX-50 that got new pups and tuners. Got it for $269 brand new from a Sam Ash in Cleveland, and it definitely played better than it should have
    I modded the fuck out of my Carvin, but I'm almost afraid to change anything on this thing because it's already great Locking tuners are about the only thing I'd ever consider.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdave View Post
    Yes, a Samick LP I have.

Tried to replace it, flirted with selling it but after trying a ton of 2k+ Gibsons it dawned on me to just keep it and enjoy having a great LP tone regardless of the name on the headstock. All its had done is a Air Classis put in the bridge and a parts bin pup in the neck.

ME: SIggery Heresy,
    MA: Some old washburn
    MB: some Vintage bass
    Rig: Mark IV, axe fx std

I've got a suhr rasmus Guthrie govan sig model. It's basically the suhr equivalent to a made in China epiphone. But it's incredible. Nothing comes close in terms of playability or tone, and it's the most versatile guitar I've ever owned. It cost me £600 which was a good price considering. I usually mod the crap out of all my guitars, but this thing I won't touch. I wouldn't even change the strings in the first 18 months of owning it for fear I might use a slightly different string gauge and screw with the setup
    I DOEN A BAD MURDA.

ME: EBMM(s)
    MA: Taylor 214
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

This applies to just about every older Fernandes I've played. I've never laid hands on a bad one, and almost always think "You know, I really should get one of these" after I put it down.

ME: Ibanez RGIXL7-ABL
    MB: Ibanez SR505
    Rig: Fractal Audio AX8

In short, no.

But that's simply because I think that, no matter how cheap a guitar is or even if it's from a brand that cork sniffers tend to look their nose down on (for example, I have an Agile I got used for $250 or so that plays beautifully and sounds excellent), it definitely does have business being nice. Some might find it funny that I played my RG1527 more than my RG8527z, even though the RG1527 cost almost $2000 less or how I prefer my Made-in-Indonesia guitar over my Made-in-Japan guitar, or how I've played guitars made in Indonesia or South Korea that played and felt a lot better than guitars made in the US or Japan. I suppose I could see someone saying "This $13,000 Paul Reed Smith has no business playing this horribly! I paid so much for it, but this $1,500 Paul Reed Smith plays so much better." But that comes down to things being overpriced, I guess, and maybe there being a ton more nice cheap guitars coming out lately (and there were nice cheap guitars in the past, as well, especially if you're going used).

^

Also, for me, it was my old MIK Squier, my very first electric guitar. My old guitar player used to prefer it over his MIA Strat and his Charvel Model 2. Great, thin but round neck, no fret buzz no matter how low you dropped the action.
    Argbadh - RHLC©