NGD - Edward Singlehands? - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: NGD - Edward Singlehands?

ME: Ibanez RG 550
    MB: Sandberg Ken Taylor 5
    Rig: Diezel Herbert

Quote Originally Posted by Not Mr. Test View Post
    I've purchased both of those unintentionally before. The cotton one is super uncomfortable, but the elastic one is good for a gag. I had no idea it was different until I strapped the guitar on (my Spector bass) and it was like boiiiiiiiiiiiiing. I thought I was the victim of some kind of gag. I still have it, it's good for a chuckle here and there. I've no idea what kind of person could possibly want that "feature" - even the short connector ends are the springy material.

The sort of person who was born in a coop and raised in a cage...

I understand he uses boingy straps as part of his robot dance routine.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Maybe I missed it, but I don't think I ever saw an opinion on the Gibson. No "luckily I got a good one" or anything. I'm guessing if you didn't return it you like though.

ME: Ibanez PGM100
    MA: Washburn
    Rig: 5150III

Nice. I've been casually searching for the Edwards "Sykes" Les Paul.
    It would be nice to get a definitive answer on where they are actually built. But the quality is good enough that I don't really care. My Edwards I put between like an upper end Korean LTD and an off the shelf ESP Standard.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: EBMM(s)
    MA: Taylor 214
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    Maybe I missed it, but I don't think I ever saw an opinion on the Gibson. No "luckily I got a good one" or anything. I'm guessing if you didn't return it you like though.
    I haven't had much time to play it to be honest. It sounds good and plays really well so far. We have a newborn at home and I'm endlessly working on my house and/or working out. Throw the holidays on top of that (no school for my son)and guitar time has been hard to come by. I will be keeping it, I even like the stock pickups. LPs will never be my main thing but it's certainly cool to have one kicking around.

Quote Originally Posted by DonBot View Post
    It would be nice to get a definitive answer on where they are actually built. But the quality is good enough that I don't really care. My Edwards I put between like an upper end Korean LTD and an off the shelf ESP Standard.
    I reached out to ESP on facebook but I assume I'll just some social media intern who will google the same shit I did. I am really over the moon at how nice this thing is. The fretwork is awesome too.

The only thing driving me nuts is that the fuckin' pickup selector is installed upside down, and the vol/vol/tone knobs are in a place that doesn't line up with anything. The knob towards the neck is volume for the bridge, the middle is volume for the neck, and then the last one is tone for the bridge again. All easy fixes, but whoever installed these blackouts had a soldering iron in one hand and a bong in the other.

ME: Ibanez PGM100
    MA: Washburn
    Rig: 5150III

Quote Originally Posted by Not Mr. Test View Post
    I reached out to ESP on facebook but I assume I'll just some social media intern who will google the same shit I did. I am really over the moon at how nice this thing is. The fretwork is awesome too.

The only thing driving me nuts is that the fuckin' pickup selector is installed upside down, and the vol/vol/tone knobs are in a place that doesn't line up with anything. The knob towards the neck is volume for the bridge, the middle is volume for the neck, and then the last one is tone for the bridge again. All easy fixes, but whoever installed these blackouts had a soldering iron in one hand and a bong in the other.
    Look up the ESP Fanatics group on FB. The main dude knows a ton about everything ESP. And I think some ESP employees are in their too.

I'm hoping DE-Jeff will chime in and give me a dissertations on its origins, but I'll ask there if he lets me down. Dude is the ESP Whisperer.

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by DonBot View Post
    ESP is a fucking massive conglomerate these days. Seriously fucking huge. Ibanez is the quintessential fucking massive Japanese guitar brand, but there is no question that these days ESP is bigger. They have their own campus and school of luthiery and it's generally accepted that some of the worlds best luthiers work there.

https://www.esp.ac.jp/language/en/

That's where part of the debate comes from. "Made in X" is kind of reductive and doesn't take into account the full picture. ESP is such a fucking huge closed ecosystem that they are sending people to their university and then sending them out to form new branches.

When people derisively talk about "made in korea" the implication is generally that a brand partnered with an asian firm because labor was cheaper and less skilled.

The implication of something like "Made In Mexico" is "Fender got less skilled Mexican labor to do it because that is way cheaper". ESP are less about forming partnerships with facilities in other countries to produce their guitars more cheaply and more about sending out teams from the central ESP nexus to make new branches.

It's a closed ecosystem type deal. They have massive resources. It's less "ESP got these less skilled foreign guys in some foreign factory to make their cheaper models" and more "ESP is building a fucking state of the art new facility somewhere, sending over people from headquarters, training a bunch of new people, etc. etc.".

It's like Foxconn or Google or even Sweetwater for that matter. They have their own self contained campus facilities. ESP isn't quite on the same level as Foxconn in the "Foxconn just built their own self contained city" sort of sense, but it's like, if a company like Foxconn wants to expand and build a new campus somewhere undeveloped it's not "oh, Foxconn is making their shit in Antartica now" it's "Foxconn is building a new branch in Antartica".

It's super impressive stuff actually. https://www.esp.ac.jp/ Most people think of them as "oh, that's just another cool guitar brand". They train fucking massive amounts of people in house at their own facilities. Fender and Gibson are fucking massive brands that own a ton of other brands under their umbrella, but even they aren't training and housing thousands of people at their own campuses.