Couch shot pending... - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Couch shot pending...

ME: EBMM(s)
    MA: Taylor 214
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

Quote Originally Posted by schreckmusic View Post
    I used to change my bass strings a lot. Not anymore and I cannot really tell the difference.
    Really? Any time I record something I think there might be a remote possibility of keeping I throw fresh strings on. The difference is night and day.

(I end up trashing the recording anyway because I’m a shit bass player but the point remains, lol)

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

There's a shit ton of opinions on bass strings all over the board. The guy in U2 has his changed between every song. Some guys play with silk gloves. Some guys soak the strings in fried chicken grease out of the box. Not a joke either, the chicken grease method is real.

Personally I think a lot of the guitar guys are using the wrong picks and attribute it to strings. Possibly also not picking close enough to the saddles coming from guitar. You definitely need dedicated bass picks. Tortex and shit like that blow on bass. Delrin is OK but still not optimal. Nylon and shit like that kind of suck too. Ultex blows too.

The Juratex acetyl polymer Cool Picks is where its at as far as pickstyle goes. I'm primarily a fingerstyle guy, but those are the best bass picks by a huge margin. You also need the triangle ones for maximum oomph. The triangle ones fucking blow on guitar, but on bass they have the edge.

These bad boys. https://www.amazon.com/Cool-Picks-Ju...60&sr=8-1&th=1 There isn't a better pick for pickstyle bass in existence.

A couple other companies make similar formulations but the Cool picks ones are kings. The Clayton ones suck in comparison.

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa JP-2C

Quote Originally Posted by Not Mr. Test View Post
    I threw this together for my homeowner's insurance
    Make sure to check your policy. Most homeowners policies only cover something like $500 or $1000 per item up to a maximum amount of $3000 or $5000. If you haven't already, you may want to talk with your insurance company about scheduling some of these higher-end guitars and amps.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Blackmachine
    Rig: Helix/Matrix/Zilla

I'd agree with picks being a big thing when playing bass. When I'm just rough tracking I usually just use Jazz III, but when I'm doing anything worse actually releasing, I have a handful of Winspear picks to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by Blankplank View Post
    I'd agree with picks being a big thing when playing bass. When I'm just rough tracking I usually just use Jazz III, but when I'm doing anything worse actually releasing, I have a handful of Winspear picks to choose from.
    Jazz IIIs definitely work in a pinch, especially if they are XLs, better than a lot of stuff.

BTW, if you are a Jazz III guy get these. https://www.jimdunlop.com/flow-standard-pick-1-5mm/ Not for bass of course, for guitar. That's a newish model they rolled out 2-3 years back. Huge Jazz III XL fan for fucking ever, haven't actually bought the Jazz III base models since getting these. They are the best guitar picks money can buy.

They make them in Delrin too, which is preferable for leads and hugely underrated. The less glossy regular ones are better for chording and rhythm and shit, but Delrins rule for single note lead stuff. https://www.jimdunlop.com/primegrip-...0-pick-1-14mm/

ME: Charvel
    Rig: Imac/Apollo

Quote Originally Posted by schreckmusic View Post
    I used to change my bass strings a lot. Not anymore and I cannot really tell the difference.
    I had a teacher who's bass was used on a lot of big country records in the 70s/80s he decided not to change the strings because of its "history" honestly the bass sounded pretty good. I couldn't tell you the make/model anymore but it's definitely not made anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpintofinity View Post
    I had a teacher who's bass was used on a lot of big country records in the 70s/80s he decided not to change the strings because of its "history" honestly the bass sounded pretty good. I couldn't tell you the make/model anymore but it's definitely not made anymore
    I don't think the guys in here are going for a thumpy chicken grease dead session tone though.

Honestly, a lot of the tones people look towards, the dudes are using exciters/expanders somewhere in their signal chain to add some of the zing. That's definitely a secret weapon for bass zing if you don't overdo it. That level of "fresher than fresh" zing doesn't come from strings alone.

I'm assuming the modeler dudes don't need aftermarket ones. A lot of the more in your face impressive tones on plugin shit is excited. Dudes coming from guitar will usually dismiss adding like chorus or exciter or whatever, but that "ultra fresh" sound can't be done without it.

Some of the best "that's just a good basic bass sound" tones of all time definitely have more stuff going on than just a good basic bass sound.

Duff Mckagan is the most obvious example. The vast vast majority of people, if you played them his shit isolated would be like, "that's just a good bass player in an expensive studio with fresh strings going for it".

His shit is actually really clever with sparing use of exciter of chorus. His signal chain is definitely really clever. Way more musical than the shitty generic modern melodeath warwick whatever. Most people will outright dismiss the shit he has going on that puts it over the top as "that will wash things out" or as "cheesy" or "dated".

His most iconic shit is actually the same rackmount yamaha harmonic chorus exciter thing Zakk Wylde used. That really fresh zing is not just fresh strings. Amazingly subtle bass player actually.

The funny thing is the Eddie Jacksons tone, specifically on OM, sells a lot of people on buying Spectors........

Spectors are great basses. But he's also running literally the exact same set up as Duff. You don't need a specific bass to get that tone.

I assume the Axe Fx probably has a model of the GK, but Brainworx does a great plugin. 800 RB. Legendary amp. Most people wouldn't look to it for modern metal.

That sound is mostly the amp and picking near the bridge and sparing chorus. Eddie Jackson actually sounds the exact same when he's using any other bass.