Help me find a solid H-S guitar. - Page 3
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me find a solid H-S guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Mr. Test View Post
    I mean that I don't care if it's basswood, mahogany, alder, etc. I'm not looking for a semi-hollow shred guitar.
    Dude, how cool would that be though?

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: EBMM(s)
    MA: Taylor 214
    MB: Spector Legend 4
    Rig: AFX3 / KPA / MKV

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    That's a shame, but I get it. It is kinda rolling the dice. That being said, I don't think I'll ever pay over a grand again for something that's not a Warmoth. I like getting exactly what I want, and for that to happen with other builders (except das Kiesel) it's just not in the cards for Casa de Jeff.
    Just the opposite for me. I'd never pay over a grand for any Warmoth.

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

24 fret mandatory?

You are pretty much exclusively looking at custom orders, short runs, or more obscure models. Most of them are going to be double locking too.

The Warmoth shit is actually great, but the lack of name cachet is off putting. I'll be the first to admit I think the Warmoth stuff I've had was great, but I'm not clamoring to go out and trade my fancy brand name guitars for their stuff.

Also, as a guy with an HS guitar he loves, don't bother with the shit with weird slant neck singles. The whole point of HS over HSS is having shit not in the way. Not only does the stuff with slant neck routes put it back to being sort of in the way, it looks ugly unless there is a matching angled end to the fretboard it is flush against.

Maverick shit is a huge no. Most people looking at those don't realize the vintage era Maverick stuff is its own fucked up body shape. It's a wonky super strat derivative.

There are loads of Jackson custom orders in that vein. You'll have to wait around though. Not that it's a problem. It's basically strictly aesthetic obviously, there's no functional advantage over an HSS over the nice feeling of paying a premium for something without shit you don't need in the way. There is no functional difference between an HS guitar and an HSS with the middle single dropped to a height where it is out of the way and disconnected. There are actually quite a few HS guitars out there that have the HSS form factor. The Blackmore signature strats have dummy middle singles.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Not Mr. Test View Post
    Just the opposite for me. I'd never pay over a grand for any Warmoth.
    Well, generally the body and neck don't exceed that, but pickups, bridge, tuners, etc. add up. My last one was $1200. Build quality was flawless too. AND.....I still have it.

Most of the cool ESP shit is going to be out too. There are HS horizons and shit from 88-92, but the Sinclair trem is a piece of shit. It's bad enough having to replace it on a guitar with a non recessed bridge. There are quite a few cool ESP models that are basically unbuyable because they have recessed Sinclairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Well, generally the body and neck don't exceed that, but pickups, bridge, tuners, etc. add up. My last one was $1200. Build quality was flawless too. AND.....I still have it.
    Warmoth's are perfectly nice and worth the money, everyone likes paying for a name on the headstock though, and people that pretend they don't are deluding themselves.

https://www.espguitars.com/products/...horizon-i-dcar

Ultimate H-S guitar (for me anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    Warmoth's are perfectly nice and worth the money, everyone likes paying for a name on the headstock though, and people that pretend they don't are deluding themselves.
    I disagree. I don't really care who's name is on the headstock, because there's a massive portion of the industry that doesn't even make their own guitars anyway. There's no such thing as a Friedman guitar, Ibanez, etc. If the company with the sticker on the headstock didn't make it anyway, who really cares? Maybe I'm just justifying it to myself, but I'm not ashamed of having a "partscaster".