Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Acoustic setup question

5K views 39 replies 6 participants last post by  Max 
#1 ·
Ok, I'm cool with electrics, but acoustics are like me trying to do calculus in Chinese. IT just doesn't happen.

I love how my acoustic sounds, but being perfectly objective here it really doesn't play that great. part of it is the truss rod - the neck is, near as I can tell, perfectly straight, and I do prefer a little bit of concavity in my necks. However, part of it is the nut is just too low and the bridge is just too high. Action at the first fret seems to be under a millimeter, while at the 18th or so, it's 4 or 5, maybe more.

I'm thinking the nut isn't really a problem, I just need to have a new nut made that isn't cut quite as deeply. However, the bridge is more of an issue - do I need to havea luthier pull the bridge, shave off a few millimeters, and then glue it back in place?

I went up to my local shop (which does excellent work and I'd be perfectly comfortable letting them operate on this guitar) a moment ago, but they seemed to be closed for Halloween, so I figured I'd start by asking here.

#36 ·
Well, I was laid off in 2001, a month before 9/11. It took me three years to get back in the door of the IT industry, so I did what I had to do.

It's not so bad when you do most of the work with 5HP routers. :metal:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.