Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Your favorite trem?

Tags
favorite trem
6K views 39 replies 32 participants last post by  Ken 
#1 ·
For the longest time my favorite trem was the old Ibanez Lo Pro Edge from the 90s. It was on all my guitars back in the day and I loved it.

I know a lot of you guys really dig the OFR, but for me it's just not my thing. The bar always seems to come loose on mine and I just don't dig it as much.

The weirdest trem I have is on my S-series 7 string. It's got an Ibanez TRS trem, which by default should be a total piece of garbage (most others I've played were), but it's just amazingly smooth and the flutter is to die for, it's absolutely endless. You could hit the bar hard, it'll flutter, and it'll keep fluttering through the next few notes you play. What a great sound.

Recently though, I've really gotten into the Ibanez Edge III that's on two of my newer Ibanez guitars. This trem plays like the Lo Pro Edge, but the blocks are part of the structure, and the bar sits better. I originally though the whammy bar had worn the cavity a little bit, because it was fairly loose, then I noticed a very small allen wrench screw on the back of the trem used specifically for tightening the bar cylinder. The result? Pure awesome. Best trem ever. The bar is extremely tight, the bridge stays perfectly in tune, and the profile is super low so it doesn't get in the way of my playing. I love the Edge III.

See less See more
#2 ·
I like the OFR on my Loomis but it is a bit of work to maintain and such.

The Wilkinson VS-100 on my Carvin stays in tune really well and is easier to maintain and looks better. In most ways I prefer it to a Floyd.

#3 ·
Steinberger R-type, no contest.

#6 ·
Despite my love/hate relationship with trems, the original and Lo-Pro Edges are my favourites. I've not had the pleasure of trying a real Floyd yet though. The Kahler's not bad, but the bar positioning is a PITA for me.

#11 ·
Steinberger R-Trem. No flutter, easily adjustable, and stiff as hell. Great for tuning stability though!

#14 ·
Lo-Pro :metal:

#21 ·
Ibanez used to make a starter-level 7-string with a vintage trem... GRG170? something like that.

Also, LoPro Edge ftw.
GRX720, I believe. I remember because I wanted one badly as my first electric guitar, but it was discontinued. :(

In retrospect, I'm glad I didn't get it because now I know it couldn't had been a very good guitar. Back then, aside from appearance, I wouldn't had been able to tell the difference between the GRX and a K7. :lol:

#19 ·
Wilkinson VS100. It looks and feels like a vintage trem, handles like a Floyd, and has the best bar adjustment I've ever seen. If only it came for seven strings...

#20 ·
:agreed:

I'd love to try the Hipshot trem a try. I've heard it's similar to the VS100 and it does come in a seven string version.

#22 ·
LPE, far and away. I've not had a huge experience with most, but LFR is crud - had one on my old Korean N2 and hated it. Used a Hamer with a decent floyd on, and that was ok. Nothing seems to simultaneously stay out of the way and provide a good base to rest on without sticking in your hand/changing pitch. It also looks really nice, too :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.