Ernie Ball Coated strings?
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Ernie Ball Coated strings?

ME: Charvel Strathead
    Rig: Laney Ironheart

Ernie Ball Coated strings?

Anyone use these? I've been thinking about switching to coated strings(and therefore re-stringing less) and EB is the only one that offers anything close to the gauge I like for C standard(their "Beefy Slinky" 11-54). How do these compare to regular EB strings? Or other coated strings?

Currently I use Webstrings, but after the last few times they've brushed me off over when they'd get some 9-46s back in, I'm not thrilled with them anymore. I'm also getting too many guitars to keep stringing them all every 2 months without driving myself nuts.

I understand hardly anyone really coats the top 3 strings, but those are the ones that wear the fastest. Does the plating/"anti-rust" do anything on those plain strings? I would love to go Elixir or DR, but neither offer a decent set for tuning down. If it comes to it, I could do one of those brands for my E and Eb guitars, and just the EBs on the C guitars...

Typically I restring all my guitars every 2 or 3 months, and spread out the play time on each. I'd like to take that to every 6 months(unless I were to start gigging, then all this is out the window).

Any insights would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez 540PIIM
    Rig: Peavey 6505

Quote Originally Posted by Toshiro View Post
    Anyone use these? I've been thinking about switching to coated strings(and therefore re-stringing less) and EB is the only one that offers anything close to the gauge I like for C standard(their "Beefy Slinky" 11-54). How do these compare to regular EB strings? Or other coated strings?

Currently I use Webstrings, but after the last few times they've brushed me off over when they'd get some 9-46s back in, I'm not thrilled with them anymore. I'm also getting too many guitars to keep stringing them all every 2 months without driving myself nuts.

I understand hardly anyone really coats the top 3 strings, but those are the ones that wear the fastest. Does the plating/"anti-rust" do anything on those plain strings? I would love to go Elixir or DR, but neither offer a decent set for tuning down. If it comes to it, I could do one of those brands for my E and Eb guitars, and just the EBs on the C guitars...

Typically I restring all my guitars every 2 or 3 months, and spread out the play time on each. I'd like to take that to every 6 months(unless I were to start gigging, then all this is out the window).

Any insights would be appreciated.
    I got a box of them a while back from the EB rep to try and wean us away from Elixirs. At some point I'll bang them on my guitar and tell you what I think.

The other coated slinkies are ace, used them as a promotional thing in the shop once and sold a shedload. They aren't bad strings, and do have that grgeous slinky 'twang' out the packet, and did seem to keep it for the three or so months they were on the guitar before it sold.

Nothing to lose, broseph. Give them a shot! Still happy with my Elixir 10-52's, though. Free or not, haha.
    "Wú yán shèn yì zhī, shèn yì xíng.
    Tiān xià mò néng zhī, mò néng xíng." - Lao Tse

http://www.facebook.com/thecolourpinkisgay - my band.

How well did the plains hold up? This is the main issue for me, really.

I might get 2 EBs, 2 DRs, and 2 Elixirs, just to compare them.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Rg927qm
    Rig: ENGL

Elixir do a baritone set I've found very handy for when I'm in drop tune.

Elixir Nanoweb Electric Guitar Strings - Baritone | DV247

Quote Originally Posted by Toothpick View Post
    Elixir do a baritone set I've found very handy for when I'm in drop tune.

Elixir Nanoweb Electric Guitar Strings - Baritone | DV247
    12-68 is very far from the 11-56 I use now. Not gonna work for me.

ME: Ibanez 540PIIM
    Rig: Peavey 6505

Quote Originally Posted by Toshiro View Post
    How well did the plains hold up? This is the main issue for me, really.

I might get 2 EBs, 2 DRs, and 2 Elixirs, just to compare them.
    Very well. As I meant to say () they were fine in the three months in the shop, but I'd like to try them myself to be sure. My sweat is incredibly corrosive (I can't wear silver and the like as my sweat tarnishes it) so I destroy guitar strings in short order, hence the Elixir usage. Gimme a fortnight with coated slinkies and I could tell you, haha.

I'm not too acidic, but I do live in a pretty humid climate.

If I do pull the trigger, it'll probably be all EBs, because it's just easier to tell. If they don't work out, I'll either go to regular EBs or back to Webstrings, and go to maybe every 3 to 4 month restrings.

If DR did those neon strings in Purple I'd get them for the Charvel just for looks.

ME: Gibson LPC
    MA: Taylor 214ce
    MB: '87 Spector NS2
    Rig: Mesa WD800/B'faced F10

I currently have the coated bass strings on my Stingray5... and they are quite nice, but who knows how that translates to the guitar strings. I'm not sure if Ernie Ball even winds their own strings these days or not. I've tried the DR coated guitar strings and really wasn't that impressed with them, but that was a couple years ago.