Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Anyone Ordered A Custom Carvin Guitar?

4K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  Deathmonkey 
#1 ·
Heyo, I've been looking into a custom Carvin for a couple months now, but haven't quite pulled the trigger. I really dig a few of their models, but haven't gotten a chance to actually jam on one. I did get a chance to mess around with one of Neil Zaza's custom Spider-Man models for a minute after I saw him live, but didn't get to play through an amp. The neck felt super comfortable, though!

Anybody have experience with either playing one or ordering through them?

#3 ·
I had a walnut DC727, and it was a polarizing experience. The fretwork was awesome, and it felt great to play. It just had this thin brightness that I couldn't get on with, even after trying a handful of different pickups. A friend of mine had an all mahogany 727, and he ended up making the same observation about his. :shrug:

#4 ·
Their set-neck and bolt-on guitars are pretty kickass if you get a good one. I'm less a fan of their neckthru models.

#9 ·
I've ordered a few guitars from those guys. All with good results. I do recommend ordering over the phone as opposed to their website and getting the name of the salesman that helps you out. That way if there is an issue you have continuity. I always received an emailed copy of my specs and printed out in case of any issues. I have two DC747c's and an LB75p and LB76p bass. All great instruments. I tried their V3 amp but it wasn't for me. I also have one of their old Tone Navigator preamps. Good unit 'til it shit the bed a while back. I found all the guys that I've talked to were well informed and helpful.:yesway:

#12 ·
Thanks for the advice! After using their online guitar builder for various guitars to view the final pricing and stuff, I think I would eventually order over the phone! Better to shoot the shit with someone over the phone then clicking a bunch of options and double-checking you clicked the right stuff haha

#10 ·
I have a DC800 and I love it. It only took me 2 months from when I ordered it to being in my hands. I love my Carvin and want a DC7X, which is their new 7 string with a 27 inch scale. You really cant beat their price for a custom guitar that only takes 2 months to get to you. They also started doing standard routing on their guitars to make changing pickups super easy. Even if you order one and dont like it, you can send it back within 10 days.

#11 ·
I've had a few of the DC series, all of them mahogany, a couple with maple tops but a few all mahogany. All of them were sterile as hell. The set neck stuff is a different thing altogether though.

I love the concept of the DC series; they play great, and feel great, but ugh, just not my thing tonally. That, and nearly every one I've had has had some cosmetic issues.

#16 ·
No, that's a common complaint with carvins, I'm sure it's not his amp. Allegedly a mahogany neck helps somewhat but sill...

I kind of want a Carvin 8 - do they make a bolt on or set neck 8s yet?

#18 · (Edited)
Here's my collection.

Here's a couple of my bands vids.
These songs were recorded with my Carvin gear.
We're more of a classic metal/power metal project.

instrumental

I've had pretty good luck with Carvin.
I also have Gibson, Edwards, Schecter, Parker usa, Diodati, Ibanez, Fernandes guitars.
My Carvins are still my main go to guitars.
I've ordered by calling, online order form, and from the instock. Never had an issue.
Any questions or issues I have had carvin was quick to resolve. Honestly, I really like dealing directly with a company than having to deal with a music store.

#22 · (Edited)
I have 4 DC800s. Hands down blows away every other 8 ive ever played. I guess im shocked by hearing people say their neck throughs sounded sterile/thin/ect. Every show I play guitar players come ask me how I get such a thick punchy tone. Mine are mahogany with a walnut neck, mahogony with a maple neck, alder with a flame maple neck, and swamp ash with a maple neck. Between all of them there is barely a noticale tone difference, and none sound sterile or thin.

My experience has been awesome dealing with carvin and all but one of my guitars have been flawless. The one tiny flaw I found they more than compensated for. Fretwork is always great, comfortable neck profile, nice looking wood selections, I could go on and on. Some may say otherwise but I have no problem pitting these against USA ESP/Jacksons. For the prices and available options I feel Carvin cant be beat.

#23 ·
I recognize that family pic :D

Here's mine:

So obviously, I like teh Carvinz.

I have to agree on the neck through 6s, I found them a bit... lacking, but Donbot has 3 of them he bought from me, and his tone is thick as Hell. I prefer the set necks. That said, I have 3 DC7x7s, and I like them - I think part of it is that having that much wood all vibrating at the same frequency can seem sterile. My 7s all have 5 piece necks, which I think breaks that up a bit. But I definitely prefer the CT7.

I've ordered a pile (17 guitars, 2 PAs, in ears, and a Legacy III) through Carvin, and they've only screwed the pooch twice, and both times offered a rebuild. Both times I loved the guitars so much I just kept them. They're a really small company, so mishaps do happen, but in general they do what they can to make it right.

I recommend them, but with a caveat of stay on top of your build and don't be afraid to ask questions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.