Trying to match string tension between hardtail/trem'd guitars, and scale lengths etc
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trying to match string tension between hardtail/trem'd guitars, and scale lengths etc

ME: Charvel So Cal
    Rig: Triple Rec

Trying to match string tension between hardtail/trem'd guitars, and scale lengths etc

I haven't owned a short scale guitar for any great period of time for a long time now, and since getting that Les Paul the other day, I want to put some strings on it that will match my 25.5" guitars.

My 'standard' that I base everything around is a D'Addario 10-46 set in Eb standard. That's the sort of tension I try to match when putting a guitar in a different tuning or something. I will also use 10's in standard, but I never play in standard so that's irrelevent

So I was about to reach for a tension calculator to see if I should go for 11's for the LP, but then it dawned on me... I always use a trem.

Is there a noticeable tension difference between a TOM and a Floyd? Despite the shorter scale, will the tension still roughly be the same as my trem'd superstrats thanks to the non-floating bridge?
    www.numbskullaudio.com
    Recording. Mixing. Mastering. Editing. Re-Amping.

www.stivesguitarservices.com
    Set-ups. Maintenance. Restoration. Repairs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Caparisons
    MA: Takamine PTU220 Custom
    MB: Ibanez ATK300
    Rig: Bogner Ecstasy 101A/B

If there's a perceivable difference I have yet to notice it. From what I understand regardless of bridge type, the tension is measured between the point of the nut and the saddle at a particular pitch. Anything beyond that is irrelevant as the string is at that pitch and it requires x about of kg to get it there. The springs of a trem simply impart an equal opposite force to that tension to keep it at a zero point.
    "I'm afraid of new guitars. They're too shiny, I can't play them or take them anywhere. They might get damaged!"

Studio6 Photography

That's what I thought, yeah. As you bend a string on a Floyd the springs pull back with equal tension... OK, I'll throw some 11s on that sucker

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Caparisons
    MA: Takamine PTU220 Custom
    MB: Ibanez ATK300
    Rig: Bogner Ecstasy 101A/B

Rockin'.

It's hard to explain typing but it's something to do with physics and engineering and other smart guy stuff someone like Leon or Seanbabs would explain better than I could. Something like whether it's a spring and fulcrum setup like the term or a physical object like the TOM, they're both exerting an equally opposite force to the string pull so the net affect on tension across the string is the same; zero.

I'm sure Rockas could grace us with one of his famous scientific tests.

I was thinking that exact same thing as I was making the thread. I though "should I?"...

ME: Solar A1.6ET
    Rig: Kemper

Quote Originally Posted by Version_6 View Post
    If there's a perceivable difference I have yet to notice it. From what I understand regardless of bridge type, the tension is measured between the point of the nut and the saddle at a particular pitch. Anything beyond that is irrelevant as the string is at that pitch and it requires x about of kg to get it there. The springs of a trem simply impart an equal opposite force to that tension to keep it at a zero point.
    That's exactly what my experiment shows here

You can tune a Floyd guitar up and then bend a string and then lock the nut and bend a string again... It wont feel different

However, I do feel there could be some difference in feel when I'm hardblocking a Floyd and having it fully floating, but I can't be too sure about it, might be placebo, but it might be real as well. Should be real, because the whole bridge itself is moving when bending

Yeah ^ but as the bridge is moving, it's lowering the pitch of the note, as you're trying to bend it UP in pitch, meaning you have to bend even further to reach the desired note, so it all equals out.

ME: Solar A1.6ET
    Rig: Kemper

Quote Originally Posted by Mattayus View Post
    Yeah ^ but as the bridge is moving, it's lowering the pitch of the note, as you're trying to bend it UP in pitch, meaning you have to bend even further to reach the desired note, so it all equals out.
    Yeah, that's the drawback of floating bridges. but it's not a BIG deal, small enough to make me wonder sometimes if it makes much difference or just placebo.

10s on 25.5" and 11s on 24.75" is pretty much the standard I think, but I actually enjoyed having 10s on my previous Les Paul guitars, despite the shorter scale.