Metal Guitarist Forums banner

An Old Man and his Pickups

Tags
pickups
3K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  Luafcm 
#1 ·
Now that I'm a total geezer, I basically "un-ceramicized" my entire guitar collection this weekend.

--My '83 Kramer Pacer went from a Duncan Custom in the bridge to a vintage Duncan "JBJ" that I had sitting around. Made an instant difference in what is a fairly bright guitar.

--My '90 Jackson Soloist Pro went from a Duncan Custom in the bridge to a DiMarzio Virtual PAF that got thrown into some guitar deal or another. Really like this pickup!

--My Heritage 157 went from a Duncan Distortion neck position to a Pearly Gates neck version that was previously in it. The Distortion Neck isn't bad for really high gain stuff, but it has some annoying high-end stuff that isn't what I'm looking for in a Les Paul on the neck position.

The Duncan Custom was such a part of my sound for so long, but the big low end is useless in a mix and the high end is really grating on its own. Plus, playing an Axe-FX means I have no need for a pickup to boost the input. They just muddy up everything.

As a geezer bonus, I even had to use my wife's magnifying lamp that she uses for sewing. Such fun to get old!

See less See more
#7 ·
I have never personally had a Duncan pickup that I thought really nailed what I was looking for. I've had that with DiMarzios and of course my go to (when I can find them) Bartolinis, but not Duncan.

#8 ·
I've never had great luck with their high output pickups. I've had a few JBs, a couple stacked singles, an Invader and a Distortion that didn't do anything for me or the guitars they were in.

The lower output stuff, however, I've liked. I've had '59 and Jazz in a few things that sounded great.

I recently recorded with a buddy of mine who has a Distortion in an ESP H-III that actually sounded killer, so I'm considering giving it another shot in a Charvel I've been piecing together.

#11 ·
No, that one's still in that guitar. This was another one that I bought when I was on a bit of a buying binge. The white Soloist and that particular JBJ go together so well that I'm loathe to mess with it. This JBJ in the Kramer seems a little hotter, but oddly not quite as bright. They're all old pickups now, so who know why these things happen...

#21 ·
I too, have de-ceramic'd and de-active'd all my guitars. A few years ago all of my guitars had EMGs. Now the only EMGs I have left are in my 4-string bass. Several of my guitars now have humbuker sized p90s too.

I really like ALNiCOs for single note lines, but sometimes I miss the cutting chug of a ceramic for metal rhythms.

#23 ·
Same here. I've just finished getting passive/alnico pickups for all my guitars. The BKP Juggernauts are Alnico/ceramic hybrids and that's as far as I'll go. I'll probably miss the cut and attack of the ceramics as well, but to be honest I don't chugg that much lately.

Although the EMG 57/66 sounded pretty darn good on the guitar they're in. I might keep them around just in case.

#24 ·
I have replaced ever stock duncan pickup in my collection except for one sustainer guitar that scares me.

It seems I buy pickups based around the marketing hype and nothing to do with tone.

Stock JB's I've had seem to be very bright and clacky sounding in my setup. I have an old bc rich(80's nj) with dimarzio pickups and they sound amazing.

I put an X2N, fasttrack1, and airnorton single in a dk2 and it's my fav config. I'm considering changing out the X2N with a Super Distortion, but the airnorton and fasttrack are there to stay, amazing pickups!

I guess I'm learning that experimentation is the only way to go, a hard task if you don't have a ton of money and soldering equipment. I'm going to consider an alnico pickup in the bridge position now after reading this thread, I'm that old too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.