Filling both holes with double cream... again... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Filling both holes with double cream... again...

ME: n/a
    Rig: n/a

So, just as an update, I installed the VHII pickups in the goldtop - ended up chasing down ground problem afterwards - and they've been in for a couple weeks.

The neck is just killer. Deep, almost nasal quality. You can hear the notes - not choking them off at all - and there's no ice-pick. I like this one a lot.

The bridge I'm still working with... I'm really not certain how to describe the issue. It's just... meh... no character to it. Like I said, I'll work with it and adjust things for a while.

But the neck is a keeper.
    Words I didn't say hurt my feelers... but this is my safe space.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Gibson Les Paul Trad
    Rig: Marshall VM & DSL50

Love the double cream look, especially over black. My '81 Ibanez AR50 looks killer with the stock Super 70 Cream pickups. They sound good, too - bright and excellent clarity without harshness. Good luck on your Bridge pickup quest.

I had heard a rumor that Dimarzio had patented or trademarked the double cream look and that other companies had to do weird things to work around it. Does that sound right?

ME: n/a
    Rig: n/a

Quote Originally Posted by Cossack View Post
    Love the double cream look, especially over black. My '81 Ibanez AR50 looks killer with the stock Super 70 Cream pickups. They sound good, too - bright and excellent clarity without harshness. Good luck on your Bridge pickup quest.

I had heard a rumor that Dimarzio had patented or trademarked the double cream look and that other companies had to do weird things to work around it. Does that sound right?
    The DiMarzio thing is true and a well-worn sore spot with many people including me. Larry DiMarzio trademarked the appearance of double cream bobbins with nickel slugs and screws. For that very reason, I won't buy DiMarzio again. I never advocate boycotts... ever... it's just a personal choice for me.

Thankfully, it's a U.S. trademark and doesn't apply to British pickups like the Bare Knuckle. And a new Bare Knuckle Abraxas should be arriving this week. Hopefully that sorts the bridge.
    Last edited by Assault Bacon; 05-07-2019 at 01:26 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Gibson Les Paul Trad
    Rig: Marshall VM & DSL50

Interesting. I does leave a bit of a bad taste in your mouth. Double Cream was the color I associate with old Super Distortions, but come on! I don't know if it'd keep me from buying, because they make a good pickup at a good price, but...hmmmm.

I have an old Super Distortion, probably '70s or '80s, in double cream. It's a great bridge PUP but it's sitting in a bin at the moment because I'm happy with my setups at the moment. Always thought it'd be fun to put in a Stratocaster ala Dave Murray and his old black Paul Kossoff guitar. I'd definitely have to consider the VHII as a mate for the neck position based on what you say - ever heard one in a Strat?