JB alternatives? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: JB alternatives?

ME: Custom 6
    MA: Walden Cutaway
    MB: Ibanez SB1200
    Rig: Marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    Dimarzio Norton. It's supposed to be somewhere between a Fred and a Tone Zone (vastly better than the TZ anyway). I've seen some describe it as a JB but better.
    I have two Nortons in two different guitars, but only in the neck position. Never thought of using one in the Bridge position.

FRED and TZ are two different beasts. The Tone Zone is a more modern sounding pickup IMO. Not as much mids as a distortion and also not as clear. It has its applications though. I got rid of it in one guitar to go back to a disto only to buy another for another 6 string (same config/design guitar).

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: 1990-91 Ibanezes
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SR500
    Rig: Laney IRT Studio

Quote Originally Posted by fproject.music View Post
    I have two Nortons in two different guitars, but only in the neck position. Never thought of using one in the Bridge position.

FRED and TZ are two different beasts. The Tone Zone is a more modern sounding pickup IMO. Not as much mids as a distortion and also not as clear. It has its applications though. I got rid of it in one guitar to go back to a disto only to buy another for another 6 string (same config/design guitar).
    The Norton is definitely a bridge pickup - the Air Norton is usually used in the neck.

https://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/medium-power/norton
    "How can less be more? It's impossible. More is more."
    -Yngwie J. Malmsteen

ME: Custom 6
    MA: Walden Cutaway
    MB: Ibanez SB1200
    Rig: Marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    The Norton is definitely a bridge pickup - the Air Norton is usually used in the neck.

https://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/medium-power/norton
    Yeah, Air Norton is a good neck pickup but the Norton can be used in the neck position Especially with a high output pickup in the bridge pos.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    MB: SR500
    Rig: Massive/Boobies

I've recently (in the last two years-ish) found that RailHammer pickups are pretty ace in the "low end clarity" spectrum, and I think the Alnico Grande might suit you. It's roughly spec'd like the JB... 15 kOhm vs 16.6, and alnico 5 magnets... and their secret sauce of using rails under the wound strings and fat poles under the plain strings, I think, actually works towards the advantage of heavy players.

https://railhammer.com/products/humb...grande-bridge/

FWIW, I have an Alnico Grande in the bridge of my Hamer Standard, and the low end riffing was so juicy-but-tight that I outfitted a second guitar with RailHammers, my Iommi tribute, a Warmoth SG with a mahogany body, RailHammer Chisel (ceramic, ~15 kOhm) in the bridge.

ME: Charvel So Cal
    Rig: Triple Rec

Aldrich. All day.
    www.numbskullaudio.com
    Recording. Mixing. Mastering. Editing. Re-Amping.

www.stivesguitarservices.com
    Set-ups. Maintenance. Restoration. Repairs.

ME: Charvel Strathead
    Rig: Laney Ironheart

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    The FRED has kind of an odd voice, very bright and midrange-y, and it wouldn't be my first thought here. The AT1 is great, but I personally thought while it was less wooly in the low end than a JB, it wasn't really much tighter or more defined in the bass, and was a better lead pickup. Toshiro disagrees, evidently, so maybe it could work.

The Wolfetone probably would be a good fit here - I did enjoy the rewind I had in my Suhr for a while.
    It really depends on the guitar/rig. Through my rig the AT1 has no trouble doing chug riffs in alder + maple/maple strats. I think the "super tight" pickups sound like ass though. I was just throwing it out there as a "JB Alternative".

The Suhr Aldrich, Pariah Blackheart, Dean Baker Act - I've actually been looking at hotter pickups similar to a JB/AT1 too.

ME: 02 NAMM Jackson RR
    MA: Takamine 12
    MB: Spector Euro 5
    Rig: SLO|Road King|Überschall

Aldrich, Timberwolf or BKP Rebel Yell.

I hate, hate, hate the JB wool. All three of those pickups have he same basic character as the JB without the wool.

The BKP Holy Diver that was suggested has a nice thump on the low mids like the JB without the wool, but doesn’t have the upper mid cut, so I’d be hesitant to suggest that one.

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

The Rebel Yell is actually really good.