Who uses all single coils for metal or hard rock (Strats)? Recommended pickups? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who uses all single coils for metal or hard rock (Strats)? Recommended pickups?

ME: Ibanez RGs
    MA: Cordoba Custom Flamenco
    MB: Ibanez SRs
    Rig: 5153 / Kemper

I'll second the Injector. I've got one for a little mini guitar and the Injector surprisingly made the thing roar.

The Area 67s and Seymour Duncan SSL6 Custom Flats are pretty muscular in the bridge too. And the Tex Mex also ain't a bad choice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Bowes Nightbringer 7

I saw these guys a few years back - they use telecasters and just the single coils.

ME: Gibson Les Paul Trad
    Rig: Marshall VM & DSL50

Cool video. Thanks for sharing. I might have to mess around with my Telecaster more.

As for Strat pickups, which of these mentioned are good choices for "having my cake and eating it too" - giving great overdriven heavy '70s sounds and beyond, while retaining great vintage glassy Strat character? I know there's always some compromise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Also - does anyone know Roy Z's guitar on Bruce Dickinson's '90s albums? His tone sounds very Stratty at times.

ME: '87 Duesenberg
    Rig: MP-2 + TSR-24S + Vortex

Quote Originally Posted by Cossack View Post
    As for Strat pickups, which of these mentioned are good choices for "having my cake and eating it too" - giving great overdriven heavy '70s sounds and beyond, while retaining great vintage glassy Strat character? I know there's always some compromise.
    I had a Vintage Reissued V6 Filmore Strat, equipped with Wilkinson late 60's style overwound pickups.
    Try looking up videos of this one; these pups just might nail it for you..

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Cool video. Thanks for sharing. I might have to mess around with my Telecaster more.

70s Strat sounds, or 70s hard rock sounds in general? If the former, damned near anything. The latter is trickier though since more often than not you're talking a LP or SC.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    70s Strat sounds, or 70s hard rock sounds in general? If the former, damned near anything. The latter is trickier though since more often than not you're talking a LP or SC.
    I'm talking about '70s hard rock Strat sounds particularly, like Roth, Blackmore, etc. - it's the "and beyond" - NWOBHM, Iron Maiden tones, etc. that might be more challenging...

The more I experiment with my CS70s' stock pickups, the more I'm learning what you can do with Single coils as the gain is piled on - and how to do it. Maybe there's more potential in my Mexi pickups than I realized. Still, i always mess with stuff and wonder what I'm missing by not getting other pickups.

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

I'm talking about '70s hard rock Strat sounds particularly, like Roth, Blackmore, etc. - it's the "and beyond" - NWOBHM, Iron Maiden tones, etc. that might be more challenging...

The more I experiment with my CS70s' stock pickups, the more I'm learning what you can do with Single coils as the gain is piled on - and how to do it. Maybe there's more potential in my Mexi pickups than I realized. Still, i always mess with stuff and wonder what I'm missing by not getting other pickups.
    Yeah, those guys weren't really doing anything special with singlecoils back then. Blackmore was just stock late-60s/early-70s strats with, eventually, scalloped necks, and the pickups were almost certainly stock Fenders at that point. Your Custom Shop 70s would probably be tough to top here, though Suhr has a V70 pickup now that might be worth a look if you really feel the need to change it up. But, you're probably already using a perfectly fine tool for the job as it is.