Who uses all single coils for metal or hard rock (Strats)? Recommended pickups? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who uses all single coils for metal or hard rock (Strats)? Recommended pickups?

ME: Gibson Les Paul Trad
    Rig: Marshall VM & DSL50

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Your Custom Shop 70s would probably be tough to top here...
    Oops - I got sloppy with my abbreviation - by CS70s I meant the stock pickups in my Classic Series '70s guitar - Mexican pickups, not Custom Shop '70s pickups. They're not bad. Alnico magnets, fairly low output (I've never measured them).

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Bowes Nightbringer 7

You could also use a 12 pole 3 way in the Les Paul and wire up the middle position to split both of your humbuckers instead of both humbuckers running full. You get a really glassy humcancelling 4th position strat kinda sound while keeping both the neck and bridge positions the same.

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Quote Originally Posted by Cossack View Post
    Oops - I got sloppy with my abbreviation - by CS70s I meant the stock pickups in my Classic Series '70s guitar - Mexican pickups, not Custom Shop '70s pickups. They're not bad. Alnico magnets, fairly low output (I've never measured them).
    Ahh. They're still probably a pretty decent base for the tone you're after, but you'd probably get a little more mileage out of a pickup swap there. I'd actually never heard of a Custom Shop 70s series, so that makes a lot more sense to me.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by Cossack View Post
    Also - does anyone know Roy Z's guitar on Bruce Dickinson's '90s albums? His tone sounds very Stratty at times.
    More likely you are talking about Adrian Smith's tone, since he was on Accident of Birth and Chemical Wedding, the two best 90s Bruce Dickinson album (Roy Z was on them too of course). He's used a bunch of stuff over the years. Don't really know anything about Roy Z's gear, but I don't think he's a strat user.

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

If you wire a strat sc bridge PU through the tone control (instead of the middle PU), that position can get pretty fat and usable for hard rock/metal. You're not going to get enough chunk for modern metal, but classic hard rock tones can be great on a strat with that mod. The 60-cycle hum becomes the issue. Suhr single-coil guitars come with this system now that is apparently great at reducing the hum, and there's a similar aftermarket system you can install--basically, it's a dummy coil underneath the pickguard or in the trem spring cavity.

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    More likely you are talking about Adrian Smith's tone, since he was on Accident of Birth and Chemical Wedding, the two best 90s Bruce Dickinson album (Roy Z was on them too of course). He's used a bunch of stuff over the years. Don't really know anything about Roy Z's gear, but I don't think he's a strat user.
    Every once in a while I forget just how awesome Chemical Wedding was. That's a LP in A tuning, right? Anyway, off to go listen...

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    If you wire a strat sc bridge PU through the tone control (instead of the middle PU), that position can get pretty fat and usable for hard rock/metal. You're not going to get enough chunk for modern metal, but classic hard rock tones can be great on a strat with that mod.
    I just do this to my Strats anyway - my silver one is just V/T, with a single master tone for all three, but my sunburst is the neck pickup on the first tone knob, and both the bridge and middle on the second. At 10 it's almost completely transparent, and I'd never NOT want to have that option, you know?

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    MB: SR500
    Rig: Massive/Boobies

Totally forgot, but my Warmoth Hybrid Tele/Strat punches hard for hard rock

And sweet fucking Judas Priest, how did I grow a beard that long

Anyways, that's an Alder body, Clearly Maple neck, Cameron Knows What Pickups Those Are, I have the volume and tone controls bypassed (JackPot), and my Mesa Nomad 100 pushing hard (Ch2/Modern, NFB loop bypass mod) into an Avatar 2x12 with V30's, recorded with an iPhone 5S.

ME: Gibson Les Paul Trad
    Rig: Marshall VM & DSL50

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Ahh. They're still probably a pretty decent base for the tone you're after, but you'd probably get a little more mileage out of a pickup swap there. I'd actually never heard of a Custom Shop 70s series, so that makes a lot more sense to me.
    I got excited when you mentioned Custom Shop 70s pickups and was going to go find out about them - bummer! I think the CS 69 pickup set is probably the closest thing. I've been dying to try them out.

I also intend to try the bridge p/u tone wiring. Some of my favorite Strat players - like Rory Gallagher, I think - did that.