Who uses all single coils for metal or hard rock (Strats)? Recommended pickups? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who uses all single coils for metal or hard rock (Strats)? Recommended pickups?

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    I just do this to my Strats anyway - my silver one is just V/T, with a single master tone for all three, but my sunburst is the neck pickup on the first tone knob, and both the bridge and middle on the second. At 10 it's almost completely transparent, and I'd never NOT want to have that option, you know?
    It's interesting because both my old KWS strat and my current EJ have the bridge wired into a tone control, and both had noticeably fatter tones from the bridge with the tone on 10 than any other strat I've had.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    It's interesting because both my old KWS strat and my current EJ have the bridge wired into a tone control, and both had noticeably fatter tones from the bridge with the tone on 10 than any other strat I've had.
    It PROBABLY results in a slightly lower resonant peak. Come to think of it, back when I had a SSS strat, I never really used the bridge at all, and it's only since I took out my SSH guard and started using SSS with a mid/bridge tone in recent years that I've discovered how much I like that position in certain situations.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: Gibson Les Paul Trad
    Rig: Marshall VM & DSL50

Well I got a new Stratocaster ("new" meaning made in 1981 ) that was advertised as having Fender Vintage Noiseless Pickups. When I pulled it apart I discovered that they are Fender Custom Shop '69 pickups. Low output - about 5.25k on my multimeter. However, when I cranked the Marshall VM it sounded really good. Not much hum or noise, either. Sounded better than I expected at Iron Maiden gain levels. These might be the ticket. I was expecting to swap the pickups when I got this, but I'm in no hurry at the moment.

It also has the 2nd tone knob wired to the bridge as some of you suggested. I like it. Very useful. At higher gain I can roll off a little and nice and smooth and fat.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

New Fenders have the Tone for the Bridge and the other Tone for both Mid and Neck pickup. Guess its a Welcome to the 21st century for Fender.

ME: Suhr M5
    MB: Squire Jazz
    Rig: Mesa Mk V + Axe FX II

Probably not the tone you are looking for but blue hummingbird on the left and volahn both use single coil strats for their take on black metal

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
    I've done this with every Strat I've ever owned, since I don't like the sound of the bridge straight out.
    Noodles

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Quote Originally Posted by Cossack View Post
    Well I got a new Stratocaster ("new" meaning made in 1981 ) that was advertised as having Fender Vintage Noiseless Pickups. When I pulled it apart I discovered that they are Fender Custom Shop '69 pickups. Low output - about 5.25k on my multimeter. However, when I cranked the Marshall VM it sounded really good. Not much hum or noise, either. Sounded better than I expected at Iron Maiden gain levels. These might be the ticket. I was expecting to swap the pickups when I got this, but I'm in no hurry at the moment.

It also has the 2nd tone knob wired to the bridge as some of you suggested. I like it. Very useful. At higher gain I can roll off a little and nice and smooth and fat.
    I've only played the neck Custom 69, but it's a great sounding pickup, clear but very fat. For the era you describe, they're probably a really good option. Enjoy the Strat!

I've used YJM Furys and they sounded awesome for metal and hard rock. Ritchie Blackmore used stock Fender singles for his 70s Deep Purple and Rainbow albums.
    Writer/Artist with Seymour Duncan
    My Gear & Music Pages