Budget vs Name Brand pickups? - Page 11
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: Budget vs Name Brand pickups?

ME: Charvel So Cal
    Rig: Triple Rec

Quote Originally Posted by Toshiro View Post
    Be less specific in your ebay searches. I did "53mm Suhr" and ended up with a $50 white Aldrich bridge.
    This is what I always do when I look for pretty much anything second hand. You have to really broaden your search terms because people don't list things correctly. It also means that you'll find things most people won't be looking for (because their search criteria will by too specific to find it) so you compete with less people to get a bargain.
    www.numbskullaudio.com
    Recording. Mixing. Mastering. Editing. Re-Amping.

www.stivesguitarservices.com
    Set-ups. Maintenance. Restoration. Repairs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Pickup sale on eBay dynamic is way different than most other things that sell on there. FWIW, I had a brand new, unopened Crunch Lab that just sold on there for $40 shipped a couple weeks ago.

For me, whereas most items you get your best deal by filtering to BIN or 'Make Offer' and sorting "cheapest first", pickups are different. Good deals either sell the instant they're listed or they languish for a week and end at 3am.

So for me, I usually filter my listing to US only, bump my minimum price to $15 to $20 to exclude any screws, rings or no-namer/stockers. Then I'll filter to 'buy it now only', arrange NEWEST to oldest and I'll nab fresh deals before someone else gets to pounce, or I'll filter to auction only, sort 'ending soonest' and find items thatve been up for a week+ most guys have forgotten about and are ending any second.

I've gotten tons of decent pickups like that. I think I've gotten a JB, Distortion, a couple EMGs, and some other stuff I'm forgetting for around $20-$30 each by doing that.
    Also, use the "only show completed listings" option to get an idea of what pickups actually sell for. The price will show green for a sale and red for no sale.
    Noodles

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

ME: LTD H7, S540LTD
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: Helix

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Pickup sale on eBay dynamic is way different than most other things that sell on there. FWIW, I had a brand new, unopened Crunch Lab that just sold on there for $40 shipped a couple weeks ago.

For me, whereas most items you get your best deal by filtering to BIN or 'Make Offer' and sorting "cheapest first", pickups are different. Good deals either sell the instant they're listed or they languish for a week and end at 3am.

So for me, I usually filter my listing to US only, bump my minimum price to $15 to $20 to exclude any screws, rings or no-namer/stockers. Then I'll filter to 'buy it now only', arrange NEWEST to oldest and I'll nab fresh deals before someone else gets to pounce, or I'll filter to auction only, sort 'ending soonest' and find items thatve been up for a week+ most guys have forgotten about and are ending any second.

I've gotten tons of decent pickups like that. I think I've gotten a JB, Distortion, a couple EMGs, and some other stuff I'm forgetting for around $20-$30 each by doing that.
    Good advice - I love auction sniping anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Toshiro View Post
    Be less specific in your ebay searches. I did "53mm Suhr" and ended up with a $50 white Aldrich bridge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattayus View Post
    This is what I always do when I look for pretty much anything second hand. You have to really broaden your search terms because people don't list things correctly. It also means that you'll find things most people won't be looking for (because their search criteria will by too specific to find it) so you compete with less people to get a bargain.
    I'm usually really vague in my terms, like right now since I'm hunting for a pup for my Franken7, I just search "Guitar pickup 7" on both sites.

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    Also, use the "only show completed listings" option to get an idea of what pickups actually sell for. The price will show green for a sale and red for no sale.
    I'll check that too. Usually do that when selling something, but hadn't thought about doing it in this case.
    Tone Chasers Anonymous ™ - I’m not just a member, I’m the President.
    Don’t expect much, it’s not like I’m a rocket surgeon.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: ESP Baby Metal
    MB: ESP Horizon 5
    Rig: KR7, 5153, MKIV, UL

Most sellers sell stuff as cheap as dirt also, I've got a few kerry king emg sets new for like 130 lol. Worst thing about ebay is buy it now, people put absurd prices on those, use make offer or auctions.

I've got a distortion 7 neck and nazgul 7 bridge in soapbars sitting here for like 4 years now if you have soapbar routes let me know