Budget vs Name Brand pickups? - Page 2
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Budget vs Name Brand pickups?

ME: Solar A1.6ET
    Rig: Kemper

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    Pickups are highly subjective. I typically don't hear much of a difference on a recording, but I can absolutely tell when I'm playing a guitar with a pickup that I don't like.
    Exactly

Anyone who says they think a cheap pickup SOUNDS LIKE SHIT can be challenged with my BLIND TEST

Different pickups do not make any "huge differences" in guitar tone. It's all about nuances.
    Output and EQ shape, basically. That's all there is to it!
    If we at least assume the pickup is in working condition. Otherwise we can add unwanted feedback and shit (I had a Super Distortion once that feedbacked all the time... it was obviously faulty)

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by playstopause View Post
    I can make a blindtest and make anyone pick out the cheapo pickup and the more expensive one.

YOU WILL WIN $10 if you can make it!!!

3 different riffs, with all my 5 different humbucker guitars!!! None of them have the same pickup.

Dimarzio Super Distortion
    Seymor Duncan Invader
    Duncan Solar
    Irongear Steam Hammer
    Jackson stock pickup

The idea to with all this $10 is to nail:

1. WHICH IS THE JACKSON PICKUP = because it's the CHEAPEST
    2. WHICH IS THE DUNCAN INVADER = because it's the MOST EXPENSIVE

I will play all guitars with 3 different riffs!!!

That's all you gotta do to WIN $10!!!!!

I will send it over PAYPAL for the WINNER!!!

ME: ESP/LTD DV8-R

Pickups are highly subjective. I typically don't hear much of a difference on a recording, but I can absolutely tell when I'm playing a guitar with a pickup that I don't like.
    Yep. When listening to a recording there are way too many variables to say for sure what's what, but when I'm playing and control all the variables, I can 100% tell when I'm playing a pickup I don't like. But Ced does have a point, some dudes love pickups I hate. Have I made it clear yet just how much I hate the JB? Yet dudes put that pickup in ALL their guitars! Madness!
    C'mon son.

Hellevate

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Quote Originally Posted by Rocka_Rollas View Post
    Different pickups do not make any "huge differences" in guitar tone. It's all about nuances.
    Damn near EVERYTHING that effects your tone are all about the nuances. Outside of the amp itself, it's all subtle. That in no way means that cheap pickups aren't pieces of shit. Typically, crappy pickups force me to change the EQ settings on an amp in such a way that the amp no longer responds to my playing the way I want.
    Noodles

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

ME: Charvel
    Rig: Imac/Apollo

The dean stock pick ups are amazing. Trust me. They're the best of all time.

THE JACKSON PICKUP IS PERFECTLY FUCKING USABLE!!!!!!!

I AM, JUST BECAUSE OF THIS, GONNA RECORD AT LEAST A COUPLE OF SOLO PARTS WITH THAT GUITAR ON AN ALBUM LATER!!!!

IF SOMEBODY CAN HEAR WHICH SOLO PARTS HAS BEEN RECORDED WITH THAT GUITAR....

YOU CAN WIN THAT GUITAR!!!!

Damn near EVERYTHING that effects your tone are all about the nuances. Outside of the amp itself, it's all subtle. That in no way means that cheap pickups aren't pieces of shit. Typically, crappy pickups force me to change the EQ settings on an amp in such a way that the amp no longer responds to my playing the way I want.
    Exactly.

That's why I have a HUGE beef with people who says their pickup change made a "HUGE DIFFERENCE" to the tone. Or how their new Warmoth neck made a "HUGE DIFFERENCE" in tone.
    Goddamn.

When can guitarits stop using "huge difference" to describe MINIMAL SHIT in guitars?

Quote Originally Posted by thrashinbatman View Post
    Yep. When listening to a recording there are way too many variables to say for sure what's what, but when I'm playing and control all the variables, I can 100% tell when I'm playing a pickup I don't like. But Ced does have a point, some dudes love pickups I hate. Have I made it clear yet just how much I hate the JB? Yet dudes put that pickup in ALL their guitars! Madness!
    I have never tried the JB. Would like to some day.
    I may not like it at all!

It's aaaaall about personal taste.

I USE ALL MY GUITARS

EXCEPT THE JACKSON JS11 WHICH COLLECTS DUST

Is it because of the PICKUP? The TONE??? No, it sounds just fine for my needs!!!

However, it's the ONLY guitar I have that doesn't stay the fuck in tune!!!

And also, it needs some fretwork to get rid of excessive fret buzz!!!

Later I will try to fix the frets on this, and INSTALL AN EVERTUNE BRIDGE (if I ever do that, at that point, the opportunity to WIN THE GUITAR is GONE! I only offer it in the current condition, otherwise, with an Evertune, it's NOT UP FOR CONTEST!!!)