Budget vs Name Brand pickups? - Page 3
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Budget vs Name Brand pickups?

ME: Les Paul
    Rig: Kemper

I agree with Ced with this as I fell into the Bare Knuckle pickups hype (many years ago). After the honeymoon phase, I quickly realized they were just average pickups.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: ESP/LTD DV8-R

I think we can all agree, though, that pickups that are made with being cheap in mind will probably be found less desirable sonically on average, than pickups designed for the sound first and foremost. Not that they can't sound good, or that some will like them. It's just like cheap guitars; some will find them just acceptable, but more people will probably like the guitar designed to be good, not cheap more.
    C'mon son.

Hellevate

ME: Solar A1.6ET

Quote Originally Posted by schreckmusic View Post
    I agree with Ced with this as I fell into the Bare Knuckle pickups hype (many years ago). After the honeymoon phase, I quickly realized they were just average pickups.
    I actually want to try out a Bareknuckle for the fun of it but I cannot justify the price.

Nah, I rather stick to what I already like for the moment

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Pickups aren't all about sound, though. Certain pickups have a 'feel' that others don't. If you try dozens and dozens of pickups, certain ones react to your playing better than others. Sound clips don't show this.
    Writer/Artist with Seymour Duncan
    My Gear & Music Pages

ME: Fender Telecasters
    MA: Emerald X20 Artisan
    MB: STR LS-648
    Rig: Mk IVa / Hartke HyDrive 2

I bought a pair of the GFS filter tron type pickups for an Epi Joe Pass model, to make into a cheap Brian Setzer guitar, and they were perfect for that. There are definitely non brand name pickups that sound good, but most guys want to get what they know rather than rolling the dice on something they haven't heard.
    "Oh, those jazz guys are just making that stuff up!" - Homer J. Simpson

ME: Solar A1.6ET

Quote Originally Posted by Starless View Post
    Pickups aren't all about sound, though. Certain pickups have a 'feel' that others don't. If you try dozens and dozens of pickups, certain ones react to your playing better than others. Sound clips don't show this.
    Sure, but that's also subjective

ME: PRS
    Rig: JCM800

I have only had 1 set of cheap pickups, but they worked well. Agile stock pickups for the AL series that I put into a prs SE. I think they were on an album too.

I found a canadian winder who costs less than new duncans for his models. I have had success with his pickups and plan to continue for future swaps.

I saw a listing for a pair for $1600CAD yesterday. Someone will buy them. Power to them.

ME: CS USA Soloist 7
    MA: Ovation Elite Standard
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rec

Quote Originally Posted by thrashinbatman View Post
    But Ced does have a point, some dudes love pickups I hate. Have I made it clear yet just how much I hate the JB? Yet dudes put that pickup in ALL their guitars! Madness!
    Have you had your hands examined?

Seriously, the JB works in the band. But I understand why people don't like it. It pairs great with EMG 81s, though.