Ceramic Pegasus - wow!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ceramic Pegasus - wow!

ME: S540LTD, JS32-7
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: 6505 412 v30 OU812

Ceramic Pegasus - wow!

A buddy of mine took his Pegasus and swapped the magnet with a ceramic, then ended up getting a Titan a few days later in a guitar flipping deal. So, he swapped the Titan and the Pegasus in his KM7 and let me borrow the Pegasus . the pickup had great character and definition before, but now it's just downright mean. And, best of all it compliments my Nazgul really well, which is something I've been trying to find for awhile.

It tightened up the low end, gave the mids a nice grind akin to the Invader (but more refined) and the highs sound like lightning.

If you get the chance to try one of these I highly recommend it. Now to make the "borrow" a "sold".
    Tone Chasers Anonymous ™ - I’m not just a member, I’m the President.
    Don’t expect much, it’s not like I’m a rocket surgeon.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Isn’t the Pegasus the (originally 7str) pickup wound like an old JB? If so, swapping to a ceramic means you’ve got an old Distortion.

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    Isn’t the Pegasus the (originally 7str) pickup wound like an old JB? If so, swapping to a ceramic means you’ve got an old Distortion.
    Never heard that, but could be. Doesn't sound like the Distortion I had a few years ago, though, but I bought it new in like 2014, so not sure that is a "new" or "old" Distortion.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

You'd told me that, but IMO I don't believe it. It was the pickup paired to the Sentient, and both were very hi-fi sounding in the high end, not at ALL like a JB. I liked the Sentient, it was a little single-coil-y in its treble response, but the Pegasus wasn't for me.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    You'd told me that, but IMO I don't believe it. It was the pickup paired to the Sentient, and both were very hi-fi sounding in the high end, not at ALL like a JB. I liked the Sentient, it was a little single-coil-y in its treble response, but the Pegasus wasn't for me.
    It's been so long since I played the Pegasus that I don't remember it all that well. I do recall it sounding like an old JB without the upper midrange honk. Do you remember how it compared to the Wolfe rewound JB7 I lent you?
    Noodles

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Didn't see what forum this was in, thought it was in general music about a shitty new Scale the Summit wanky Jam Band called "Ceramic Pegasus".

Now I'm just disappointed.

That is some Grateful Dead level shit. They were named after a story in which Jerry Garcia had a particularly bad acid trip and became infatuated with his Grandmother's cheap sculpture of a mythical beast.

That's a great title for a ~20 minute track. The band Ceramic Pegasus playing the title track of their album Ceramic Pegasus which is 17 minutes and takes up the entire side B of their debut?

They don't make music like that anymore.

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

It's been so long since I played the Pegasus that I don't remember it all that well. I do recall it sounding like an old JB without the upper midrange honk. Do you remember how it compared to the Wolfe rewound JB7 I lent you?
    Why would I trust something so important to memory?

High end was night and day different, IMO.

EDIT - though listening on a shitty earbud at work I'm not getting AS pronounced differences as I recall - I remember the JB sounding a bit more rounded off and burnished in the "presence" frequencies while the Pegasus was a lot crisper up there, but I'm not hearing it as much in this comparison now.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Why would I trust something so important to memory?

High end was night and day different, IMO.

EDIT - though listening on a shitty earbud at work I'm not getting AS pronounced differences as I recall - I remember the JB sounding a bit more rounded off and burnished in the "presence" frequencies while the Pegasus was a lot crisper up there, but I'm not hearing it as much in this comparison now.
    There's a pretty big difference through my monitoring headphones, for sure. But the Peg and Wolf do sound closer than the Dimarzio.

Not as much high-gain-goodness to go off of in that video as I'd like for personal taste comparison, but I did like the Pegasus the best.

One of the guys on the SD boards described the mag swap into a Pegasus as "putting a 5150 in your pickup". Gotta say that's an apt statement.