The penny's dropped. Lower output pickups are better, even for high gain. - Page 3
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: The penny's dropped. Lower output pickups are better, even for high gain.

ME: Suhr Modern
    MB: EBMM Stingray 5
    Rig: Axe-Fx 3 / Kemper / 5150

It's almost like I've been telling you asshammers to just fucking put Blazes in everything forever.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Wolfgang
    MA: Grandpas guitarz
    MB: lol
    Rig: EVH

I have been a Alnico/mid output guy for a long time. I always thought it let the guitars sound come through better. Amps have had plenty of gain for a long time now, I dont need the pickup to help with that, thats what boost is for. When I took Duncan Distortions out for a Pegasus people thought I was crazy, until they played it.
    Vag Jackson, Man Of Action

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    It's almost like I've been telling you asshammers to just fucking put Blazes in everything forever.

That's a ~21k ceramic. That's not even considered "high output" anymore, that's "When you tell people you installed one of those they look to see if there is a federal agency they can report you to to see if social workers can come and preform wellfare checks on abused guitars".

If you are going that hot it's Super 3 or bust. That was designed for the HM Strats.

It's also stock on Jacksons ultra expensive US Phil Collen models. Which makes sense to no one but presumably Phil Collen. Cornering the section of the market with people who want ultra high quality woods and premium price tags paired with ~30k pickups.

Anything above 18k people will be like, "This guy either plays Death Metal or really self indulgent shred or he's one of those Billy Corgan types who wants a lo-fi radio noise to feed through a bunch of pedals".

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    -Killswitch/Andy Sneap sound influencing everyone to switch to 85s (18v usually) in the bridge.

Go look at Fishman's metal roster, it's seriously all the guys who popularized using an 85 in the bridge in metal. The ones who had Sneap or Adam D working on their records. The artist relations guy for them is the dude from Unearth, a band with a ton of records engineered by the Killswitch dude.
    The irony being that almost all of the Fluence pickup sets, including the KSE one, are a ceramic bridge and an Alnico neck.
    Argbadh - RHLC©

ME: Charvel So Cal
    Rig: Triple Rec

The magnet material argument is overblown, and doesn't really hold much water. You can get incredibly warm/mushy/vintage sounding ceramic pickups, and likewise very shrill/hot/tight Alnico pickups. Bill Lawrence himself hated this notion, as well as measuring a pickup's output by its DCR. A magnet swap in the same wind will yield different results, of course, but the wind is key. The magnet in itself doesn't offer any tonal properties.

Also the 85 in the bridge thing sounds like shit. 81 or gtfo. It's all mids and no bite. It's *slightly* thicker than the 81 but not enough to warrant the naff high end.

It was never meant to be anything but a bridge pickup anyway. It was just offered as a "warmer" alternative to the 81 (Steve Lukather being an early adopter, nevermind KsE). It was Zakk Wylde who popularised it as a neck pickup. Dual 81's or 81/60 is a far better combo. I actually really dislike the 85 in any/all positions

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    In my experience, say there's 12 general sounds you get out of a guitar, 2 of them are better with a high output pickup, 5 or 6 of them are better with a low/moderate output pickup and the rest are pretty much even. My desert island pickup would be somewhere between a PAF 36th or '59 for exactly that reason, but that's because of the sorta stuff I'm into. If you live off of like, Killswitch Engage or something, I'd imagine you can rock an 18k ceramic mag pickup for the rest of your life with no regrets.
    That's a great way of putting it, yeah. I've become a much more versatile player, exploring different styles within one breath, even within the same song recently, and it's tiresome and somewhat uninspiring when you're stuck in one gear.

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    I've found a boost is more about tailoring the tone than getting enough gain. I ALWAYS like Rectos with boosts, since the bass cut helps tame the boomy low end. You're really getting more perceived gain, since it tightens everything up.
    No absolutely, I didn't mean it in the sense of getting gain, but all I'm saying is if you've got a hot/tight pickup that is meant to be surplanting the use of a boost, I still prefer the more mellow pickup + boost than the hot/tight pickup straight in. It just changes the character of the amp.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCoy View Post
    *some weird junk not really revelant to what I'm saying*
    Dude what the fuck are you smoking I know you're on this massive anti-purist kick and I dig that, but nobody's even remotely getting snobby about low output pickups here. I know I'm not reinventing the wheel by using lower output pickups, this is a very personal thing and feel like experimenting down this road.

I championed EMG's for a good 5 years, I still fucking love them, but they don't work for what I'm doing any more, plain and simple. I don't reject them on a notion like "eww they're active". I couldn't give a flying shit about any gear's material makeup. Perhaps you skipped over the part where I'm preferring a 1991 solid state Marshall 8100 to a fucking Rectifier I'm going to rock that shit on stage like a rebellious kid who's just come out to his orthodox Christian parents.

My recent realisation is simply that I (as in me, just me) prefer the tone/feel of a medium output passive pickup, with or without a boost. For all things. Not for one-dimensional metal riffing. But for "the guitar", period.

This is not about "tone preservation" or any of that horseshit, because I'm with you on that, that's dumb. This is about feel and general tone. A passive pickup + a boost side-by-side with an EMG straight in (or with a boost for that matter) do not feel/react/sound the same. Not to mention, I can kick the boost off if I want and come back down to the amp's natural crunch. Can't do that with hot pickups without rolling the input gain down, and when you do that you lose a lot of body and character. Therefore, for me, a slightly less hot pickup is way more versatile, and for me has more character and useful range.
    www.numbskullaudio.com
    Recording. Mixing. Mastering. Editing. Re-Amping.

www.stivesguitarservices.com
    Set-ups. Maintenance. Restoration. Repairs.

ME: ESP/LTD DV8-R
    Rig: Kemper

I use EMGs into a TS into a high-gain amp with the Gain Boost on. Fight me.
    C'mon son.

Hellevate

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

Quote Originally Posted by Mattayus View Post
    Not to mention, I can kick the boost off if I want and come back down to the amp's natural crunch
    That's kind of an issue I'm having right now. I downsized my rig big-time a few years back, so my two main guitars are the Parkers (TZ/AN combo) and now the ergo (89/SA/SA). Most of the stuff I've been writing lately are almost all cleans and it's work to not pick/pluck too hard and get an overdriven signal. I had an LP with a '59/Jazz combo that got stolen that'd be perfect for this, but alas. The piezos have been doing okay fill in duty but I really need the sustain of a magnetic pickup. I'm sure there's an NGD on the horizon

EDIT: Further complicated by the fact I lean mostly toward Dimarzios, and I've got two 7s but most of Dimarzio's ERG options are high output. It's basically the PAF or nothing.

ME: Solar A1.6ET
    Rig: Kemper

Quote Originally Posted by thrashinbatman View Post
    I use EMGs into a TS into a high-gain amp with the Gain Boost on. Fight me.
    Install an EMG Afterburner in there and you will never have to ask ladies for permission again