Instead of a tubescreamer boost, why not tighter pickups? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Instead of a tubescreamer boost, why not tighter pickups?

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    MB: SR500
    Rig: Massive/Boobies

They already exist. I've got a pair in two guitars, and the hype is real, imo.

https://railhammer.com/products/

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

You'd probably need some sort of active preamp circuit to get the sort of pre-EQ tonal reshaping that a Tube screamer does, concentrating the singal a little more in the mids before it hits the amp, and over and above that even set as clean as possible a tube screamer is providing some gain, and transistor overdrive is predominately odd harmonics (while tubes are predominately even), so it changes the harmonic makeup of the gain, as well. I might be getting that backwards of course.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: Charvel So Cal
    Rig: Triple Rec

I'm not sure he literally meant a tubescreamer in the pickup I'm pretty sure he's just saying why not use pickups that are hot/tight so you don't need the boost.

Quote Originally Posted by BStobart View Post
    Because some dumb fucks like Marshalls
    www.numbskullaudio.com
    Recording. Mixing. Mastering. Editing. Re-Amping.

www.stivesguitarservices.com
    Set-ups. Maintenance. Restoration. Repairs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Les Paul
    Rig: STL Will Putney plugin

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    They already exist. I've got a pair in two guitars, and the hype is real, imo.

https://railhammer.com/products/
    Do you have and sound clips? They look interesting

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Quote Originally Posted by Mattayus View Post
    I'm not sure he literally meant a tubescreamer in the pickup I'm pretty sure he's just saying why not use pickups that are hot/tight so you don't need the boost.
    A tube screamer does more than just cut treble and bass though - you could get part of the way with passive EQ, but it would't change the harmonic content of the distortion in the same way.

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    MB: SR500
    Rig: Massive/Boobies

Quote Originally Posted by schreckmusic View Post
    Do you have and sound clips? They look interesting
    I should really do one.

I've got a Warmoth SG in mahogany with maple neck (Garrett's project neck!) with the Chisel RH bridge, a Hamer (mahog/maple with maple neck) with a Alnico Grande RH bridge, and then my Les Paul Studio with a Rebel Yell BKP bridge. Might make a cool shoot-out. My band tunes to drop B, and the SG, even with a 24.75" scale neck, with 10's, still sounds pretty tight with that Chisel RH, which is why I think they do what they were designed to do.

ME: Charvel So Cal
    Rig: Triple Rec

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    A tube screamer does more than just cut treble and bass though.
    Yeah sure, but again you're being too literal. The way I interpreted it was that he was saying look, if you're using a TS to tighten up your tone and slam the front end for more grind, why not just use a pickup that's hotter and tighter.

As we hit upon in my thread of a similar nature though, a TS is doing more than just giving you gain and tightening things up. It's a tonal change too, and in my experience does something entirely unique that just slamming the front end with a hotter signal doesn't achieve.

ME: Ibanez S970CW
    Rig: 6505+ Head and Cab

Quote Originally Posted by Mattayus View Post
    Yeah sure, but again you're being too literal. The way I interpreted it was that he was saying look, if you're using a TS to tighten up your tone and slam the front end for more grind, why not just use a pickup that's hotter and tighter.

As we hit upon in my thread of a similar nature though, a TS is doing more than just giving you gain and tightening things up. It's a tonal change too, and in my experience does something entirely unique that just slamming the front end with a hotter signal doesn't achieve.
    Absolutely. I gravitate to the more TS oriented overdrive pedals for this exact reason. I've tried several clean boosts that are extremely transparent, and all it does is give me more gain, without tightening up shit, which I mean, using a 6505 isn't exactly a probably I have, but the TS adds something extra that just sounds great.
    "I'm really not going to change to something else just because SSD4 fucks with my ass right now."

- Rocka_Rollas