Metal Guitarist Forums banner

NPickupD: Not playing authentic.

734 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Toshiro 
#1 ·
Picked Up a Dean Baker Act:
20190826_164555 by SR, on Flickr

20190826_164619 by SR, on Flickr

I've wanted to try one of these for a while, the specs are pretty similar to an Aldrich(17+k, A5, etc). I would try some Duncans, but fuck them and that wider than normal "trembucker" BS. Gotten bored of the Dimarzio Breed bridge, which has been in this one guitar for like 20 years now. It's still a great pickup, just more for E standard, or lead playing, IMO. The neck model is staying though, because it's my favorite neck humbucker. :lol:

20190829_180410 by SR, on Flickr

First impressions:
The Baker Act is definitely sharper sounding(maybe grittier?) than the Aldrich. Maybe closer to the JB? Not sure because the last JB I had was a 7 string version in a Schecter 10 years ago. :lol:

It's got more chunk than the Breed; but the bass is still pretty tight, and it doesn't feel like I lost any mids. It's more interesting sounding; the Breed was starting to sound too smooth, especially in D standard.

Unfortunately I wired it backwards, so it's out of phase in the middle position, which I guess works out with the coil tap. Probably won't fix that until next year's string changes. :lol:

PS: I hate that fucking DMT logo, need to take it off.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm starting to hate logos on pickups full stop...

This is interesting. But also annoying that there's another pickup out there I want to try. Not good after I've just "settled" :lol:

Anyway, this sounds cool. Dean haven't been doing pickups for long, right? They were only available as stock on their guitars AFAIK, then all of a sudden they started cropping up aftermarket.

#4 ·
Yeah, they hired a pickup winder, Pat Baker. This is his "sig" model, name is kind of a dad joke, the Baker Act is sort of Florida's 5150 law.

Seems like they started their own pickup line just to make sig pickups for endorsees. I've been on the fence about buying one because they still market SD loaded guitars as an upgrade(not a lot of faith in their product).

This might be too bright in a maple/alder Charvel, that RG is pretty dark. If the Aldrich is fat, this is a bit leaner and nastier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.