N(MG.Org Approved)PD

Thread: N(MG.Org Approved)PD

ME: Suhr M5
    MB: Squire Jazz
    Rig: Mesa Mk V + Axe FX II

N(MG.Org Approved)PD

Ive had this guitar quite a few years now and i love to play it but the pickups that come with it stock are the Nazgul and sentient and while im not in love with the sentient i dont mind it. The Nazgul however is a really trebly harsh pickup to my ears and it didnt go well with the snappy bright natural sound of the guitar im sure if I tuned it waaaay dow (its already in B) it would work but for 'normal' 6 string tunings it sounded nasal.

So i figured try something at the other end of the spectrum and went for an invader. It sounded decent on the low end but i think the mid range bump that pickup has was boosted again by the guitars natural sound.

I really like JBs but have them in multiple other guitars so didnt want to just go with them in everything.

Finally thanks to Matt's insatiable lust for pickup swaps I have just put his Charvell's distortion in and could not be happer with it. The guitar now sounds as good as it plays/looks. Mayones really need to ditch the Nazgul at least on their 6 strings but there is a theory that they bulk bought/ordered them when they were flavour of the month and are just slapping them in everything....

N(MG.Org Approved)PD-20190831_165322-jpg

2. Thanked by:

3. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa JP-2C

Agreed about the Nazgul. I had one briefly too and have no idea what they were thinking with that one. Mine was both sludgy and sharp. The best way I could describe it would be to imagine a Mark amp's 5 band EQ, with the 2nd and 4th sliders all the way up and the other 3 sliders all the way down. Absolutely terrible pickup.

ME: Jackson KV2's
    Rig: Fractal AX8

I said the exact same thing about the Nazgul in my Jackson Monarkh 7 string right before I traded it for a Tele. It was muddy and shrill at the same time. Awful pickup.
    Heavy metal from Northern Ireland: Stormzone | Fireland

6. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: S540LTD, JS32-7
    MB: SR305E
    Rig: Helix

Gorgeous guitar - glad you found a pup that works with it.

I love my Nazgul, but never tried it in a 6 string and don't know how I'd feel.
    Tone Chasers Anonymous ™ - I’m not just a member, I’m the President.
    Don’t expect much, it’s not like I’m a rocket surgeon.

ME: Ibanez S970CW
    Rig: 6505+ Head and Cab

Quote Originally Posted by Iron1 View Post
    Gorgeous guitar - glad you found a pup that works with it.

I love my Nazgul, but never tried it in a 6 string and don't know how I'd feel.
    You'd feel disappointed. Hope that helps.
    "I'm really not going to change to something else just because SSD4 fucks with my ass right now."

- Rocka_Rollas

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

Doesn't look like a Blaze to me.
    Argbadh - RHLC©

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Agreed about the Nazgul. I had one briefly too and have no idea what they were thinking with that one. Mine was both sludgy and sharp. The best way I could describe it would be to imagine a Mark amp's 5 band EQ, with the 2nd and 4th sliders all the way up and the other 3 sliders all the way down. Absolutely terrible pickup.
    I felt that maybe.....maybe it would work with a really low tuned guitar like an 8 string but yeah it was not a good pickup and it wouldn't surprise me of mayones got a 'good deal' on them to clear out sds inventory

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Doesn't look like a Blaze to me.

Blazes were replaced by bikes, the new pickup of choice is the distortion