Single coil-sized buckers for neck position in an H-S config - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Single coil-sized buckers for neck position in an H-S config

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    Cruiser is the pickup of choice for Andy timmons. A little lower output than the chopper
    Honestly, I've always wondered if there was something wrong with my guitar when I tried a set of these - they sounded phenominal, but were quieter than the singlecoils in an off-the-wall Mexi Strat by an audible degree unless you set them really close to the strings, at which point the attack got extremely bright in non-musical ways. This was before I started doing my own pickup wiring and the guy who wired them up for me didn't usually work on guitars and there was a LOT of tequila consumed that night, so with the benefit of hindsight it's entirely possible they were split or parallel or something... So I've been a little temped to just order another one to see what happens. On Dimarzio's site, the bridge (Timmon's pickup of choice in the neck and middle) has an output of 143, right in line with the Area 61 and stronger than the Area 67, so who knows. Those have awfully low magnetic pull though so they sounded fine set close to the strings, while the Cruiser didn't, even though it also should have lower magnetic pull.

Hell, for $80 each, I should probably just do it to put my mind at ease.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Quote Originally Posted by Mattayus View Post
    Wow Really? Not what I expected to hear.

This is an unfathomably shallow reason against It, but I really hate the way Duncan's mini buckers look
    It's like a Jazz but with sizzle. Creamy smooth and tons of bite at the same time. It actually doesn't sound like the full size pickup.
    Noodles

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

ME: Hacked tele and RGs
    MA: Freshman
    Rig: Mesa Mk V:25

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Honestly, I've always wondered if there was something wrong with my guitar when I tried a set of these - they sounded phenominal, but were quieter than the singlecoils in an off-the-wall Mexi Strat by an audible degree unless you set them really close to the strings, at which point the attack got extremely bright in non-musical ways.....

....so with the benefit of hindsight it's entirely possible they were split or parallel or something... So I've been a little temped to just order another one to see what happens.
    I've tried them twice in two different guitars, great tone, but *huge* volume drop from the AT1 in one and the ChopperT in another. I still don't know how Timmons uses them with a bridge humbucker! Great sounding pickups, but whisper quiet.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Charvel So Cal
    Rig: Triple Rec

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    FT2. Trust me. Badass neck pickup.
    I think that's going in the wrong direction for me, personally. If the description and the EQ score on Dimarzio's website is to be trusted, it'll have more low end and even less glassiness than the Chopper, which I'm finding has too much of a strong low mid/bass to be a decent neck pickup.
    www.numbskullaudio.com
    Recording. Mixing. Mastering. Editing. Re-Amping.

www.stivesguitarservices.com
    Set-ups. Maintenance. Restoration. Repairs.

Timmons used Cruiser Bridge on the Neck Position. The older Sig Ibanez Models were like this, the new AZ seems its not.

Playing about with it some more this morning, and I think I may have over criticised the Chopper's EQ. I think coming off the back of the hyper-compressed Hot Rails is what threw me. The Chopper is very open, really quite unique, it's like they've combined a PAF with a true single coil.

The "bassy" nature I was hearing comes from it just having a strong note fundamental, it's not really bassy in a muddy sense, it's just got quite a firm/hard attack to it, like a single coil, but with the girth of a PAF.

I'll stick with it for now and if a FT-1 pops up dirt cheap I'll grab it anyway just to compare, but for now I'm quite digging the Chopper's characteristics.

It's only when you then flip back to the bridge pickup that it sometimes sounds a bit anaemic after being on the Chopper, which it isn't. But then any pickup in the neck position is going to sound thicker by nature. This is all with crunch and high gain btw... On cleans it's the other way around, the Chopper sounds noticeably chimier and quieter than the bridge bucker.

Again, I think this is all because I've had a super flat-sounding Hot Rails in there for so long, where it didn't really sound all that much like you were on a neck pickup. Man that thing is compressed... Great for if you want those sorts of fluid shreddy runs a la Petrucci, but I like a bit of character and dynamics in a neck pup!

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Quote Originally Posted by astrocreep View Post
    I've tried them twice in two different guitars, great tone, but *huge* volume drop from the AT1 in one and the ChopperT in another. I still don't know how Timmons uses them with a bridge humbucker! Great sounding pickups, but whisper quiet.
    And you're sure yours was wired up correctly, too? I was bummed, because they sounded awesome, but they were just so quiet. I think Timmons likes his singlecoil sound to clean up a little when he switches positions, whereas I want the same perceived gain from the singlecoils to the humbucker, so for me it doesn't really work. Which is a pity, because they really do sound great.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    whereas I want the same perceived gain from the singlecoils to the humbucker, so for me it doesn't really work.
    That's the money shot right there, getting that combo. There are very few single coils that can do it, so I've sort of given up on trying to achieve it. The Chopper certainly does it, but still with that single coil rasp in the high end, so I'm prepared to settle on it as that's pretty much what I'm after.

The Hot Rails did it in spades, as I said, totally kept up with a bridge humbucker in terms of saturation, but to the point where it pretty much just sounds like a hot neck humbucker, at which point you ask yourself why do I even have an H-S set-up...

I'm interested to try something like the BKP Sinner, which claims to be a true single coil, but has such ridiculous high output.

When I first started running an H-S set up, the first thing I tried was a Duncan Quarter Pounder. I really hated it. A true single trying to have high output loses practically all single coil chime and rasp, due to being such a hot wind. It's such a delicate balance.

EDIT: Well, as usual, big brother is watching/listening, and I was just recommended a video on the Dimarzio Injectors.

Intrigue rising... Anybody got any opinion, on the neck model especially?