Single coil-sized buckers for neck position in an H-S config - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Single coil-sized buckers for neck position in an H-S config

ME: Charvel So Cal
    Rig: Triple Rec

I can wire a capacitor in series to the hot from the neck pup. I always forget about this mod.
    www.numbskullaudio.com
    Recording. Mixing. Mastering. Editing. Re-Amping.

www.stivesguitarservices.com
    Set-ups. Maintenance. Restoration. Repairs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Quote Originally Posted by Mattayus View Post
    That's the money shot right there, getting that combo. There are very few single coils that can do it, so I've sort of given up on trying to achieve it. The Chopper certainly does it, but still with that single coil rasp in the high end, so I'm prepared to settle on it as that's pretty much what I'm after.

The Hot Rails did it in spades, as I said, totally kept up with a bridge humbucker in terms of saturation, but to the point where it pretty much just sounds like a hot neck humbucker, at which point you ask yourself why do I even have an H-S set-up...

I'm interested to try something like the BKP Sinner, which claims to be a true single coil, but has such ridiculous high output.

When I first started running an H-S set up, the first thing I tried was a Duncan Quarter Pounder. I really hated it. A true single trying to have high output loses practically all single coil chime and rasp, due to being such a hot wind. It's such a delicate balance.

EDIT: Well, as usual, big brother is watching/listening, and I was just recommended a video on the Dimarzio Injectors.

Intrigue rising... Anybody got any opinion, on the neck model especially?
    Never tried an Injector, but the Areas are pretty good.

You know, for what you're looking for... Maybe a Heavy Blues 2 WOULDN'T be so bad. It's darker than most singlecoils and I didn't really love how it played/sounded while jamming out, but it recorded BEAUTIFULLY and is one of the hotter "conventional style" noiseless singlecoils Dimarzio makes.

IIRC I still had it in the neck and middle when I cut the leads for ALC on my album, and while I found it a little dark in the room, IMO they sounded great in the mix:

https://drewpetersonguitar.bandcamp....ien-love-child

Volume rolled back a hair for the start of this, then wide open when I get into the solo section, 2:07 or so.

Less chimey than some in between, but it still does the Fender/Jimi thing.

Output of 170 on Dimarzio's chart, so only modestly less than a Fast Track 1 and a bit hotter than an Injector.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: 1984 Warlock NJ
    Rig: 6505+

I use a fast track along side an X2N bridge and don't have any beefs with level issues when switching between them. Fast track is a great pickup.

The air norton is my fav in a neck single slot, it's a humbucker though.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

I'm over it. I think I just needed an adjustment period. Happy with the Chopper as it is!

IT IS COMPLETE.

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Happy to hear!

ME: Charvel Strathead
    Rig: Laney Ironheart

Quote Originally Posted by Mattayus View Post
    .... at which point you ask yourself why do I even have an H-S set-up...
    The narrow magnetic field makes them sound different to a full humbucker? I find the S in the neck kinda lands somewhere between the 22 fret and 24 fret neck hum tone.

I would have some constructive input, but we like very different neck pickups.

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    MB: SR500
    Rig: Massive/Boobies

I'm pretty different, I guess. I like having a different pickup in the neck so that I can get different sounds. I've got a telecaster-style bridge pickup in the neck of my Warmoth SG, with a hot ceramic HB in the bridge (Railhammer Chisel), and it's so awesome . Even under heavy distortion, it just has this chtchune kinda quality that can make a boring clean part really pop.

Joe Naylor thought it was a bad idea, but he sold me the Tel 90 pup anyways, along with the one he thought I'd like better... a Chris Schutt sig (still got it in a box).

EDIT: But to your quest, and, rather, I think the point I was trying to make before going on about myself... Have you tried calling the guys at Suhr? I'm sure they get a lot of calls about what to pair with that Aldrich bridge, so they've probably got some solid suggestions lined up.

I'm'a leave it as is man, I'm happy with the Chopper Plus, AFAIK, Suhr only do true singles, nothing hum-cancelling or noiseless.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshiro View Post
    The narrow magnetic field makes them sound different to a full humbucker? I find the S in the neck kinda lands somewhere between the 22 fret and 24 fret neck hum tone.

I would have some constructive input, but we like very different neck pickups.
    I was referring to the Duncan Hot Rails specifically, not all single-sized humbuckers, for the exact reason you mentioned. Out of all the ones I've tried, the Hot Rails sounds most like a full-blown humbucker. So why have an H-S set-up if all you're gonna get is humbucker tones. Because you're right, even stacked buckers and rails still have a unique sound due to their narrow pickup field. More focus.