Single coil-sized buckers for neck position in an H-S config - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Single coil-sized buckers for neck position in an H-S config

ME: Ibanez RG 550
    MB: Sandberg Ken Taylor 5
    Rig: Diezel Herbert

Quote Originally Posted by Mattayus View Post
    Plus, AFAIK, Suhr only do true singles, nothing hum-cancelling or noiseless.
    That's 'cause they licenced and fitted this: https://www.ilitchelectronics.com/hu...systems/lcncs/

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Charvel So Cal
    Rig: Triple Rec

(psst, I just bought a Fast Track 1, I tried to ignore the Chopper/Aldrich discrepency, but I can't, the Chopper is just too hot/loud for a neck pickup in this guitar, however I do have a Jackson that I plan on putting an X2n in the bridge of, so it can go in there )

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
    That's 'cause they licenced and fitted this: https://www.ilitchelectronics.com/hu...systems/lcncs/
    Sneaky cunts.
    www.numbskullaudio.com
    Recording. Mixing. Mastering. Editing. Re-Amping.

www.stivesguitarservices.com
    Set-ups. Maintenance. Restoration. Repairs.

ME: Hacked tele and RGs
    MA: Freshman
    Rig: Mesa Mk V:25

Quote Originally Posted by Mattayus View Post
    (psst, I just bought a Fast Track 1, I tried to ignore the Chopper/Aldrich discrepency, but I can't, the Chopper is just too hot/loud for a neck pickup in this guitar, however I do have a Jackson that I plan on putting an X2n in the bridge of, so it can go in there )
    Nicely sneaked out there....

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

I'm nothing if not subtle.

ME: Robin Medley Special
    Rig: 6505~(some pedals)~Mesa

I've abandoned the quest for a single-sized humbucker neck pickup. Always disappointed. I installed a Dimarzio Vintage Heavy Blues 2 in my Warmoth-Charvel and couldn't be happier. I now embrace the single-coiliness of it. Still can't stand a single coil in the bridge though.
    President - Reverse Headstock Lover's Club ©

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Quote Originally Posted by playstopause View Post
    I've abandoned the quest for a single-sized humbucker neck pickup. Always disappointed. I installed a Dimarzio Vintage Heavy Blues 2 in my Warmoth-Charvel and couldn't be happier. I now embrace the single-coiliness of it. Still can't stand a single coil in the bridge though.
    Given that it has - to my ears - less presence and a little more midrange than a "true" singlecoil, as well as a heck of a lot more output, I always thought that was a very good one to pair with humbuckers. Glad you're happy!
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

I may have to try that some day...

But for now, I'm happy with the Chopper.

I put the Fast Track in, and my first impressions were... huh... pretty identical EQ, but just, like, half the output.

Started to question my sanity.

I put the Hot Rails back in as a point of reference... REALLY bassy, way more than the Chopper ever was, and I don't know how that went unnoticed.

Put the Chopper back in. Really great. Must have just been one of those weird brain-fart moments.

Oh well. Got a spare Fast Track kicking around now which I might put in the middle position of this Jackson I've scored recently. In fact yes. I shall.

Going back to the Duncan Hot Rails for a moment, now I've got a point of reference, it's a truly terrible pickup. Especially for a neck pickup (and this is the neck model!). Such chopped-off highs, really dark and boomy. It's the sort of thing some people prefer as a neck pickup (i.e. all smooth, no bite) but not me. Very toneless and bland. It split quite well though, I'll give it that.