What to do, what to do...? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What to do, what to do...?

ME: Ibanez RGIXL7-ABL
    MB: Ibanez SR505
    Rig: Fractal Audio AX8

I don't have time to do it. But even if I did have time, I wouldn't do it. I like to play guitar, not do wiring or electronics projects. That is just not me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Thinking about this got me distracted from work and I ended up spending 2 hours watching videos comparing high gain pickups. I pretty soon decided I was just going to go with active pickups and rule out passives, so then I watched a bunch of videos of actives. And the Seymour Duncan Blackouts really did sound the best to me out of all the pickups in all the videos I watched (though I might be a little biased, having them previously as my main pickups for about a decade)... until one of the videos had Fishman Fluence Modern Humbuckers. After that, I just watched videos of specifically those pickups and decided to pull the trigger.

None of the websites online seemed to have them in stock (and Ishibashi Gakki, which is the main brick-and-mortar shop I shop at didn't seem to have any on hand in any of their stores in Tokyo), so I just bought them from a prominent Japanese music gear website that said they order them when I order them (forget how we say that in English), so no idea how long it'll take to arrive, but I ordered the black set with the ceramic bridge pickup and the alnico neck pickup.

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    MB: SR500
    Rig: Massive/Boobies

Nice! I always forget about those

Frank Falbo works on them, so you know they'll sound great

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

Quote Originally Posted by Naren View Post
    Thinking about this got me distracted from work and I ended up spending 2 hours watching videos comparing high gain pickups. I pretty soon decided I was just going to go with active pickups and rule out passives, so then I watched a bunch of videos of actives. And the Seymour Duncan Blackouts really did sound the best to me out of all the pickups in all the videos I watched (though I might be a little biased, having them previously as my main pickups for about a decade)... until one of the videos had Fishman Fluence Modern Humbuckers. After that, I just watched videos of specifically those pickups and decided to pull the trigger.

None of the websites online seemed to have them in stock (and Ishibashi Gakki, which is the main brick-and-mortar shop I shop at didn't seem to have any on hand in any of their stores in Tokyo), so I just bought them from a prominent Japanese music gear website that said they order them when I order them (forget how we say that in English), so no idea how long it'll take to arrive, but I ordered the black set with the ceramic bridge pickup and the alnico neck pickup.
    Yeah, the Fluence high gain settings are actually closest to Blackouts of any pickups I've tried, so it should be a pretty good fit.
    Argbadh - RHLC©

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Yeah, the Fluence high gain settings are actually closest to Blackouts of any pickups I've tried, so it should be a pretty good fit.
    Should be. I just got an estimate today that it should take about 3 weeks to arrive. A pretty long wait, but I guess it makes sense considering it has to get ordered to Fishman in the US, then shipped from there to the music retailer, then from them to me. I also checked a ton of other stores in Tokyo (Kurosawa Gakki, Rock Inn, etc.), as well as a ton of other online shops, and none of them had it in stock either, so it seems no matter what, the wait is inevitable. It seems cheaper than it'd be to buy the exact same thing in the US, though. When I was checking online, I saw prices of $295 for the exact bridge/neck setup I ordered, while what I'm paying (including tax and shipping) is $250.48 at the current exchange rate.

Anyway, the wait begins.

ME: ESP MI Custom
    MB: Fender Jazz custom
    Rig: Kemper

Nice, I've been a Fishman convert since the start of the year, I toured Moderns in my stage guitars and I've just switched to Classics in one to see how they compare.

I recently did a comparison of a Modern to an EMG 81 and it was pretty close, a little more clarity, reduced noise and fizz and the infamous EMG pick chirp is not present either, which I absolutely hate with a passion.

ME: ESP Baby Metal
    MB: ESP Horizon 5
    Rig: KR7, 5153, MKIV, UL

Usually that is either special order (if to store) or drop ship (to home) lol. Naren has gone full JP.

Quote Originally Posted by Lozek View Post
    Nice, I've been a Fishman convert since the start of the year, I toured Moderns in my stage guitars and I've just switched to Classics in one to see how they compare.

I recently did a comparison of a Modern to an EMG 81 and it was pretty close, a little more clarity, reduced noise and fizz and the infamous EMG pick chirp is not present either, which I absolutely hate with a passion.
    I was sold just from the clips (tone and clarity being my two most important factors to hone in on), but the fact that they don't contain any copper wiring definitely sealed the deal. And in comparison videos I watched, the Fishmans had the best clarity and the least noise (most of the comparison videos had zero buzz whatsoever, so that wasn't really any issue). As for tone, I thought they typically had the best tone, though in some videos I watched, I felt the Blackouts were better or about the same in quality but just a little different.

Definitely looking forward to trying them out myself.

Fractal Audio Systems  Shred Training  Angel Vivaldi
Bowes Guitarworks  NumbSkull Audio Production

VigLink badge