What to do, what to do...? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What to do, what to do...?

ME: DC727/RG7621
    MB: SR505
    Rig: 10k Plugins

Quote Originally Posted by Naren View Post
    If Soundcloud hadn't changed their platform to requiring you to pay money to use their service, I'd post a clip.
    This is beside the point of the thread, but this is not true. I post all my songs for song a week and cover a week on SC and I have never paid them a cent. You don't need their "pro" service.

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Ibanez RGIXL7-ABL
    MB: Ibanez SR505
    Rig: Fractal Audio AX8

Quote Originally Posted by Connor View Post
    This is beside the point of the thread, but this is not true. I post all my songs for song a week and cover a week on SC and I have never paid them a cent. You don't need their "pro" service.
    I'm guessing that must mean they reversed their original announcement a year or two ago that you would need to pay to use their service at all. I remember there was a ton of pushback at the time. The last time I logged into my Soundcloud account was probably a month or two before that announcement.

But good to know for future reference.

ME: Suhr M5
    MB: Squire Jazz
    Rig: Mesa Mk V + Axe FX II

Quote Originally Posted by Naren View Post
    I'm guessing that must mean they reversed their original announcement a year or two ago that you would need to pay to use their service at all. I remember there was a ton of pushback at the time. The last time I logged into my Soundcloud account was probably a month or two before that announcement.

But good to know for future reference.
    Im back in this thread to say I now kind of see what you mean about these pickups I'd really only played my 2027 for a while so my frame of reference was brought back into focus when I recorded using my Regius the other day that has JB/59. The JB is one of my favourite pickups and has really highlighted that these dimarzios are a bit dull sounding. Time for a swap for me too

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Gibson SG
    Rig: Pedals -> Dark Terror

This is probably a bit late, and sorry if this has been talked about already (I just skimmed the thread), but if you only get hum when you're not touching something metal on the guitar, then the guitar is grounded. What's happening is it's picking up interference from other power sources. This is technically "correct" (I'm not saying it's good though haha). My SG did this recently and I was able to fix it.

So yeah, your guitar is grounded properly, but the electronics are picking up electrical interference from outside sources. If you hold your guitar up and move it around, does it get better or worse depending on where you move it?

My guess is it's either not shielded, or there's something wrong with the shielding that's there. My SG's control cavity wasn't shielded (I don't know why Gibson thinks this is a good idea when literally every cheaper guitar on the market comes with shielding in the cavity). It was a 20-minute fix that was basically just putting copper tape on the back of the control cover and grounding that to the jack.

Just out of curiosity, pop the cavity cover off and see if there's shielding paint on the cavity walls and/or shielding tape on the back of the cover. If that's the issue it's a pretty easy fix, but even if you don't want to fix it yourself, you'll be able to tell a tech exactly what you want done to it.

ME: PRS
    MB: VM Jazz
    Rig: JCM800

Quote Originally Posted by Lozek View Post
    Nice, I've been a Fishman convert since the start of the year, I toured Moderns in my stage guitars and I've just switched to Classics in one to see how they compare.

I recently did a comparison of a Modern to an EMG 81 and it was pretty close, a little more clarity, reduced noise and fizz and the infamous EMG pick chirp is not present either, which I absolutely hate with a passion.
    I liked the EMG's in my LTD when I had it. Just a blast for the high gain stuff. That said, the idea of that general tone but without the pick chirp is heavily noted . I hear it on some albums and it's like "goddamn why not EQ that out".

ME: Ibanez RGIXL7-ABL
    MB: Ibanez SR505
    Rig: Fractal Audio AX8

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Im back in this thread to say I now kind of see what you mean about these pickups I'd really only played my 2027 for a while so my frame of reference was brought back into focus when I recorded using my Regius the other day that has JB/59. The JB is one of my favourite pickups and has really highlighted that these dimarzios are a bit dull sounding. Time for a swap for me too
    Yeah, I mean, I'm not saying "they're horrible" or anything like that. They're WAY better than the original stock pickups in my Ibanez RG1527 that I bought back in 2005 (and sold earlier this year), which I changed several times (starting with DiMarzio Blaze Customs) before finally settling on Seymour Duncan Blackouts. But they are a bit dull and... maybe "muddy" isn't the best word for them, but they lack the clarity and definition that I really like in my pickups.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    This is probably a bit late, and sorry if this has been talked about already (I just skimmed the thread), but if you only get hum when you're not touching something metal on the guitar, then the guitar is grounded. What's happening is it's picking up interference from other power sources. This is technically "correct" (I'm not saying it's good though haha). My SG did this recently and I was able to fix it.

So yeah, your guitar is grounded properly, but the electronics are picking up electrical interference from outside sources. If you hold your guitar up and move it around, does it get better or worse depending on where you move it?

My guess is it's either not shielded, or there's something wrong with the shielding that's there. My SG's control cavity wasn't shielded (I don't know why Gibson thinks this is a good idea when literally every cheaper guitar on the market comes with shielding in the cavity). It was a 20-minute fix that was basically just putting copper tape on the back of the control cover and grounding that to the jack.

Just out of curiosity, pop the cavity cover off and see if there's shielding paint on the cavity walls and/or shielding tape on the back of the cover. If that's the issue it's a pretty easy fix, but even if you don't want to fix it yourself, you'll be able to tell a tech exactly what you want done to it.
    Well, I already ordered new pickups, so I'm not even going to bother trying to fix the grounding (and/or shielding) issue myself.

But as for your question, it doesn't get better or worse if I lift it up, lower it, or move it around. It's the exact same noise/buzz unless I'm physically touching the strings (or some other metallic part connected to the body).

I plan to tell the tech about the buzzing when I get the Fishmans installed, but simply installing them should probably fix the issue alone, considering the Fishmans are such low-noise pickups that don't even use any copper wiring. I do definitely plan to mention the noise, though.

Fractal Audio Systems  Shred Training  Angel Vivaldi
Bowes Guitarworks  NumbSkull Audio Production

VigLink badge