What to do, what to do...? - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What to do, what to do...?

ME: Ibanez RGIXL7-ABL
    MB: Ibanez SR505
    Rig: Fractal Audio AX8

Quote Originally Posted by Lozek View Post
    The Fishman install is no different to an EMG/Blackout install other than the extra voicing which is pretty simple to figure (either Jumper or switch to ground). The set of Classics I bought came wired to Seymour Duncan pick-up rings with in-built switches, so that all voicing options were available. That was far too much for me, all I really need is access to voicing option in the bridge and a coil split in the neck.
    Yeah, that doesn't mean anything to me since I've never changed pickups before, nor do I ever plan to. The extent of guitar work I do is adjusting the truss rod, string height, cleaning the frets, and changing the strings. If it requires routing or soldering, I'm taking it to a guitar repair shop.

I agree that I probably won't need voicing 2 for either the bridge or neck, but it's nice to have them both (I can see myself using voicing 2 in the neck more than voicing 2 in the bridge, just judging from what I've heard from online clips). Much like how I always liked to play around with the coil tap option, but I've never once ever turned the coil tap on during a live performance (or even a practice for that matter, except when playing around in between songs).

2. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

Quote Originally Posted by Naren View Post
    Yeah, that doesn't mean anything to me since I've never changed pickups before, nor do I ever plan to.
    Honestly, if I can do it, you can do it.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: Suhr Modern
    MB: EBMM Stingray 5
    Rig: Axe-Fx 3 / Kemper / 5150

Yeah, that doesn't mean anything to me since I've never changed pickups before, nor do I ever plan to. The extent of guitar work I do is adjusting the truss rod, string height, cleaning the frets, and changing the strings. If it requires routing or soldering, I'm taking it to a guitar repair shop.
    If you can learn to speak japanese I'm reasonably sure you can learn to install pickups man. It's really easy.

5. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: Gibson SG
    Rig: Pedals -> Dark Terror

I get more nervous adjusting truss rods than I do changing pickups.

Especially active pickups. Those solderless installs are amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Honestly, if I can do it, you can do it.
    It's not that I "can't" do it. It's that I don't want to. I've been playing guitar for about 21 years now and never messed with that kind of stuff. I enjoy playing guitar, not working on guitars. I know some people enjoy that kind of stuff, but I'm pretty sure it's not my thing. It's the same reason why I've always taken my car to a repair shop or dealership instead of doing it myself. It's not that I'm incapable of doing it. I just don't want to. Time is a precious commodity, so I'd rather spend it doing something I enjoy and pay someone else to do the work for me.

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Squier 5 string P-bass
    Rig: Mark V

It's not that I "can't" do it. It's that I don't want to. I've been playing guitar for about 21 years now and never messed with that kind of stuff. I enjoy playing guitar, not working on guitars. I know some people enjoy that kind of stuff, but I'm pretty sure it's not my thing. It's the same reason why I've always taken my car to a repair shop or dealership instead of doing it myself. It's not that I'm incapable of doing it. I just don't want to. Time is a precious commodity, so I'd rather spend it doing something I enjoy and pay someone else to do the work for me.
    Yes, but precisely because I don't like waiting 10 days for someone else to do it for me, and not having a guitar during that time, I figured it was worth learning to do. All the other stuff you mentioned in your post is more time consuming than a pickup swap, provided you have a halfway decent soldering iron.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Yes, but precisely because I don't like waiting 10 days for someone else to do it for me, and not having a guitar during that time, I figured it was worth learning to do. All the other stuff you mentioned in your post is more time consuming than a pickup swap, provided you have a halfway decent soldering iron.
    I seriously doubt a pickup swap (especially from passive to active with the requirement of some minor routing work) would take less time than changing strings, cleaning a fretboard, or adjusting the truss rod. Plus, I won't have any time for any of that for at least another 2 weeks since I've got 6 huge deadlines coming up and have been staying up late most nights to get work done. And even when I am able to take time away from work, I'd rather spend it on something more enjoyable and, like I said before, pay someone else to do the work for me. I do know that some people would be like "That's money that you could save by doing it yourself." But, if you think of it that way, I actually wouldn't save money because that's time I could spend working that would make more money than the money I would save doing a pickup swap myself (which would take a lot longer for me since I've never done it before).

Anyway, that's my reasoning. And, while I do want my guitar back as soon as possible, to be honest, I wouldn't even be able to play it even if I had it now (I mean, I could fit in some time to noodle around unplugged, but I wouldn't have time to plug it into my AX8 and really hear what it sounds like until these deadlines are met).

So I got an e-mail early this afternoon letting me know that my guitar was ready to pick up. In the end, it only took 7 days at the repair shop (less if we only count business days), so I'm pretty satisfied with that. I wasn't planning on playing it since I'm so busy with work, but after a few hours working at home, I just couldn't take it anymore and hooked it up to my AX8 and played around for about 20-30 minutes.

First, not only is the grounding/shielding issue fixed, but I can already say that these are the quietest pickups I've ever owned. Even with the noise gate off with relatively high gain, it's very quiet (and pure silence on clean channels/presets with the noise gate off). Which is interesting since these are among the highest gain pickups I've ever owned too. I can also say that, although I'll need to adjust my AX8 presets to fit these new pickups, I'm already loving just how clean and clear every note rings out and how there's none of the "muddiness" or lack of clarity that I didn't like about in my DiMarzio Fusion Edges, which weren't bad pickups exactly. Great at cleans but mediocre at high gain.

Anyway, once work settles down, I'll have to find some time to just tinker with the presets and set them up to best fit my new pickups.

Fractal Audio Systems  Shred Training  Angel Vivaldi
Bowes Guitarworks  NumbSkull Audio Production

VigLink badge